It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Gannett: South side of Wells Creek to avoid The Cleft?

The topo and aerials of the Wells Creek approach to Gannett seem to suggest there might be one or two fingers of scree on the south side of Wells Creek that would take you up to Lake 10805 from which you could head straight east, thereby avoiding The Cleft altogether. I've never been up Wells Creek, does anyone have some insight into this idea?
Read more : Gannett: South side of Wells Creek to avoid The Cleft? | Views : 2949 | Replies : 0

Summit Mountain in the Beartooths

Has anyone ever tried climbing Summit Mountain (11,704') in the Beartooths? I'm looking to get into the Beartooths a few times this summer and from the map that peak looks like it would be a great view and potentially a great climb.

My main concern is whether it is actually climbable without ropes, having never even set eyes on it. It certainly doesn't look too steep but you never know. Having climbed Granite I know ...
Read more : Summit Mountain in the Beartooths | Views : 4007 | Replies : 2

Solar Eclipse Over Under

With Monday's total eclipse passing directly over the tetons and winds, what's the over under on accidental deaths on Monday? I suspect that the tetons will be reasonably controlled by the nps, but in the winds (specifically Gannett, Fremont, and most Titcomb peaks) to be completely overrun. My guess is that someone falls off the snowbridge on Gannett, gets swallowed up by the glacier, and that someone stumbles over the NE face of Fremont. Hope ...
Read more : Solar Eclipse Over Under | Views : 3544 | Replies : 1

Glacier National Park/Nyack Coal Creek Loop

Hi, looking in mid September to head to glacier to do the Nyack Coal Creek Loop. Limited information out there on this route so was looking to see if anyone has experience doing this. From what I've read the loop seems very demanding, overgrown but it takes you into some awesome remote backcountry off the beaten path. I understand it's a walk in permit. You think we would have any problems getting one? Also the ...
Read more : Glacier National Park/Nyack Coal Creek Loop | Views : 6919 | Replies : 1

Gannett Peak - Wells Creek Cleft Beta

I have a small group approaching Gannett via either Tourist Creek or Wells Creek at the beginning of September and am wondering if anybody can describe the crux of the Cleft in the Wells Creek approach in greater detail, specifically the option of crossing the creek. It has been a hot year, so I'm anticipating that the water may be low in the creek that late in the summer and that the Cleft may be ...
Read more : Gannett Peak - Wells Creek Cleft Beta | Views : 5369 | Replies : 3

Condition of Southwest Couloir, Granite Peak

Anyone know the current condition of the Southwest Couloir, Granite Peak, MT?
Thanks
Read more : Condition of Southwest Couloir, Granite Peak | Views : 7870 | Replies : 8

Grand Teton this weekend?

The weather in Colorado looks pretty iffy this weekend, but I noticed that it is predicted to be perfect in the Tetons with sunny skies. It's short notice, but does anyone want a go at the Grand Teton?
Read more : Grand Teton this weekend? | Views : 3188 | Replies : 0

Borah Peak Conditions

Headed up for a quick trip in the next few weeks...

Trying to decide on crampons/ice axe, spikes, or nothing...

Standard route...

This is the most recent info I could find...

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52188

Anybody been up or have first hand beta? Thanks! Pics are a bonus...
Read more : Borah Peak Conditions | Views : 5822 | Replies : 5

Cirque of the Towers

Anyone have any recent beta on the Cirque? When/if the approach and most routes are opened up?
Read more : Cirque of the Towers | Views : 4037 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557945 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136395