It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Taking the family hiking

My son is playing in a hockey tournament in Las Vegas in early July (yeah I know, we're crazy) and on our way home (Manitoba) we are thinking of camping in the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and would like to do some hiking. My younger son (6) is a pretty decent hiker for his age and could manage 12 or so kilometres on day hikes in the Canadian Rockies last summer (some days ...
Read more : Taking the family hiking | Views : 4238 | Replies : 2

Highest Class 1 in Idaho??

I love how there aren't trails on any ID peaks. I had a thought the other day that the tallest Class 1 ascent in the state I could think of is Sun Valley's Bald Mountain, which is ranked #1082 on LoJ. Can anyone think of a higher one?
Read more : Highest Class 1 in Idaho?? | Views : 7124 | Replies : 8

Crazy Mountains Access

Looking to do some ski mountaineering in the Crazies this weekend. Does anybody know if Big Timber Canyon Rd to Half Moon Campground is snow free/accessible yet? Any condition updates on the area at all would be rad!
Read more : Crazy Mountains Access | Views : 4231 | Replies : 1

Do you recognize these mountains?

Taken on a flight from Denver to Seattle on March 25th. I was thinking I was over Idaho and that it might be near Borah Peak but not familiar enough with the area to be sure. The peak left of center looks distinctive enough that I thought someone might recognize it. View is looking south.
Any thoughts?

Read more : Do you recognize these mountains? | Views : 8250 | Replies : 12

Anyone done Fremont East (glacier) Route? Anyone done Fremont East (glacier) Route?

Fremont Peak's (the Winds Rivers one) page doesn't have info on doing a glacier route. Have any of you done it and could provide info on it?
Read more : Anyone done Fremont East (glacier) Route? | Views : 4305 | Replies : 1

Triple Divide Peak in Glacier Park

Here is an account of a couple trips i did to Triple Divide Peak (includes photo tour): https://bigskywalker.com/2016/12/31/triple-divide-peak-and-beyond/
Read more : Triple Divide Peak in Glacier Park | Views : 4984 | Replies : 2

Total Eclipse 2017

Hi,

Despite living in the UK I'm thinking of coming over for the Total Eclipse in August 2017 - as its the only one in the next 10+ years that will be in a sensible place to get to!

Its on a Monday in the morning and I'd love to be high up for it. Something like Mount Borah in Idaho would be fantastic. My main concern is that the trailhead will be mobbed with ...
Read more : Total Eclipse 2017 | Views : 17429 | Replies : 19

#49 State highpoint attempt, Granite Peak MT

State Highpoint #49 - Had only this and Alaska to go.

Granite Peak Attempt - we made the best of a tough situation. I heard snow was forecast for Granite Peak the day I got to Red Lodge MT on Thursday and that it was likely it may be impossible to summit for our 2 groups. We did our rock climbing afternoon practice by Red Lodge MT and headed out the next morning for Granite ...
Read more : #49 State highpoint attempt, Granite Peak MT | Views : 6894 | Replies : 5

Trail running/climbing Big Sky

If anyone here likes really technical trail running that combines lots of vert and an 11k Peak, I just ran The Rut 28k at Big Sky. Highly recommend it. Really well put together, brutal terrain, and great location. 7800 vert over the 17 mile course.
Read more : Trail running/climbing Big Sky | Views : 3887 | Replies : 0

Bighorns snow

Anyone thinking of Cloud Peak, Blacktooth, etc for this weekend needs to know we:re looking at pretty heavy snow over 11k. Potential for 1-2ft of snow this Thurs -Sat.
Read more : Bighorns snow | Views : 4436 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557931 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136363