It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

Blue Mountains, Australia

This June 2014 my family rode the Skyway and Cableway above the valley floor, but time constraints (one day tour guide bus trip from Sydney) did not allow us time to walk on the valley floor. Is the valley floor for day hiking only, or are folks allowed to backpack overnight for a few days? I see they have "storm shelters" strategically placed in the valley so there must be some days with ample rain. ...
Read more : Blue Mountains, Australia | Views : 10499 | Replies : 8

Top Rope Heroes near Wanaka

Just did some ice climbing with Aspiring Guides near Treble Cone.
Pano of the Crag by radson1, on Flickr

Steffi at Black Peak crag by radson1, on Flickr

Steffi scopes out the climb by radson1, on Flickr

Summit by radson1, on Flickr

Leaving Black Peak Hut by radson1, on Flickr
Read more : Top Rope Heroes near Wanaka | Views : 7915 | Replies : 0

Stunning Carstenz Aerial Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iv2Ft ... e=youtu.be

From an ice-coring team. The last minute or so has the nice aerial footage shot from a help. Almost makes me want to go there.
Read more : Stunning Carstenz Aerial Footage | Views : 9464 | Replies : 3

Haleakala bicyclists

My wife and I will be in Maui in July. Of course, we plan to visit Haleakala.

My question concerns the bicyclists. I know the tour groups will take people up for the sunrise, then let them ride downhill. What we're trying to do is avoid the downhill rush of bikes as we drive up.

Is the highway restricted at certain times for the bicyclists? Is this done every day?

We were looking at driving ...
Read more : Haleakala bicyclists | Views : 8992 | Replies : 4

Brewster Hut, NZ

Anyone been up there lately?
I'm keen to know the state of the glacier.
Read more : Brewster Hut, NZ | Views : 7511 | Replies : 0

Understanding the Alpine Climbing Industry

Hi,

I am currently pursuing my Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) from Portland State University ,Oregon, United States. I am working on a consulting assignment as part of my academic requirement for my clients - a small company based out of Portland, Oregon manufacturing alpine climbing apparel. My clients are interested in evaluating potential export markets for their goods and I'm looking into the the New Zealand/ Australia market for mountaineering apparel.

My team ...
Read more : Understanding the Alpine Climbing Industry | Views : 7797 | Replies : 0

BEWARE: Climbing Carstensz Pyramid

Dear all,

If you are thinking about climbing Carstensz Pyramid using a local guiding company, I suggest you do not use the company below. He charged me and 13 others US$8,000 each and then left us in Timika. He final email to me is below along with his contacted details. Unsurprisingly he has not refunded me, or indeed and has not answered any of my calls or emails since.

I hope you are not as ...
Read more : BEWARE: Climbing Carstensz Pyramid | Views : 11402 | Replies : 2

Good one day climbs, NZ South Island

I managed to score some very cheap tickets to NZ in late Feb, and will be spending 12 days driving around the South Island. I'll be with my wife and bub so i think i can only swindle one day up high.

I know there has been recent talk about Brewster/Armstrong, but do any of you have any other suggestions for a day climb? I know 1 day isn't long, but i figure there are ...
Read more : Good one day climbs, NZ South Island | Views : 12671 | Replies : 7

Mt Brewster, NZ

Hi there
Anyone been up to Brewster Hut, Mt Armstrong and Mt Brewster on late May/early June?
I've been wanting to do this area with snow and ice underfoot for years, finally I get my shot in 2013.
I have a 7 day window, so plenty of time.
I'll be going solo with a PLB (yes, experienced in alpine conditions)but always keen to hear other experiences.
Read more : Mt Brewster, NZ | Views : 13203 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369