It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 pm

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

New Vinson Page

I made a new page for Mount Vinson today: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-vinson/830860
Read more : New Vinson Page | Views : 9236 | Replies : 2

is bogong the tallest volcano in mainland australia

Just finding the seven volcanic summit counter part of kosciuszko, didn't get an exactly yes answer, do just wondering if it is bogong
Read more : is bogong the tallest volcano in mainland australia | Views : 15879 | Replies : 8

Auckland Volcanic Field (NZ)

Hi, I was thinking about doing an Area/Range page on the Auckland Volcanic Field in New Zealand with maybe an attached Mountain page focusing on Rangitoto and some more on the climbing area on Mt. Eden. Have been to maybe a half dozen of the summits but there are plenty others so was imagining adding bits as I got to each one. Anyone got any material they think would be useful? Cheers.
Read more : Auckland Volcanic Field (NZ) | Views : 9025 | Replies : 2

Partners Aoraki/Mt Cook area December 2012

Hey people,

I'm looking at staying in the Aoraki/Mt Cook area for most of December 2012 and hoping to get a load of mountaineering in. Keen to meet partners to get out and climb routes around Alpine 2/3. I've brought my own equipment and a small rack. Drop me an email if your interested. Cheers.

Adam
Read more : Partners Aoraki/Mt Cook area December 2012 | Views : 7947 | Replies : 0

Tongariro Eruption

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7426862/Mt-Tongariro-erupts-for-first-time-in-over-100-years

Some ash and steam last night local time, but so far nothing more serious, although no one seems too sure what to expect next. Early reports of missing hikers appear to refer to refer to three people evacuated from Mangetepopo hut so hopefully everyone is safe.

Heads up anyone planning a winter Tongariro crossing.
Read more : Tongariro Eruption | Views : 8041 | Replies : 0

Vinson

Anyone heading down to the ice this year? I will be flying down December 14th. Scott
Read more : Vinson | Views : 9232 | Replies : 2

Easy must-see hikes on Kauai?

I'll have a newborn in tow, so no five-day expeditions across the swamp for me.

We're planning to be near Waimea Canyon part of the time - obvious spot for scenery and drier weather. Any particular places to see / avoid? Any short scrambles I could do solo, without rope, if I get an afternoon to myself?
Read more : Easy must-see hikes on Kauai? | Views : 9716 | Replies : 3

Short excursions from Auckland in April/May

What trip would you recommend in New Zealand for late April/early May? Are any mountains still in condition or is it strictly trekking season? I'm looking for 2 short excursions starting from Auckland. First trip 3 days. Second trip is 4-5 days. It's a first visit to NZ.

I'm thinking about Ruapehu for the first 3 days. Then catching a flight to South Island for a 50 mile trek. Any other suggestions?
Read more : Short excursions from Auckland in April/May | Views : 8815 | Replies : 2

Moving to New Zealand

So I'm moving to New Zealand for work come May/June. I'll be in the Arthur's Pass area without much time to travel about. I'm bringing some basic alpine gear for work, but what's around? We'll say my job is snow intensive, so I'll have ski mountaineering gear as well. Any ice that time of year? Alpine? I don't know much about the area so any help would be great. Like I said I'm going to ...
Read more : Moving to New Zealand | Views : 15125 | Replies : 9

Ice climbing courses – Australia vs NZ? Any Advice?

Looking to do an advanced ice climbing course this July/August (I live in Melbourne).

Lots of options if I head over to NZ, and some great courses by the looks of things but would be significantly cheaper for me to stay local. And it looks like the obvious Aussie option would be The Australian School of Mountaineering in Katoomba.

Does anybody have any experience of these guys and whether the standard of instruction is as ...
Read more : Ice climbing courses – Australia vs NZ? Any Advice? | Views : 12541 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136398