It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

Mt Earnslaw update - conditions

As of 8th December, the Birley Glacier (which you must cross on the standard route to Wright Col) is in an unstable condition. There is approximately 600mm /2ft of soft wet snow which has not adhered to the base layer. There are regular small avalanches, including one triggered by a climber attempting a self-arrest. Take care and try to get updates on conditions before attempting this route for the time being.
Read more : Mt Earnslaw update - conditions | Views : 12716 | Replies : 9

New Zealand in October

I'm looking to make a trip to New Zealand in early summer 2012 (Sep/Oct). How much more difficult is Mount Cook in late October compared to prime season? Besides mountaineering, is October a good time of year to enjoy New Zealand's outdoors (warming temps, sunny weather) at mid altitudes?
Read more : New Zealand in October | Views : 9087 | Replies : 2

Summit Rocks on Aoraki / Mt. Cook

Hi there,

Does anyone know what UIAA grade is the route up to the Aoraki / Mt. Cook via Summit Rocks? Any topos or high res photos? What protection would be the best to use?

Thanks!
Read more : Summit Rocks on Aoraki / Mt. Cook | Views : 15959 | Replies : 13

NZ - Ball Pass unguided info saught

My friend and I are looking to head to Mt Cook Village in early Jan, one of the objectives of the trip is to do the Ball Pass trek from the Hooker Glacier over to the Tasman Glacier. We are hoping to do it without a guide and am just looking for some info/advice from anyone with experience?

We are coming from Australia and have some Victorian winter backcountry experience(snow camping and steep hiking). We ...
Read more : NZ - Ball Pass unguided info saught | Views : 10616 | Replies : 4

NZ southern alps at the beginning of October

Hi together,

looks like this is my first post here, so I want to introduce myself quickly.

I am from Germany, did some rock, ice and glacier courses in the Alps and trips in Norway/Svalbard. This year I was climbing several peaks around 6000m in the Himalayas, including Island Peak South ridge in alpine style, since it was off season (but guided of cause). My physical fitness/endurance is solid from doing quite some Marathons, Triathlon ...
Read more : NZ southern alps at the beginning of October | Views : 9423 | Replies : 2

Cheap airfares Oz-NZ

Heads up for cheap airfares Australia-New Zealand! 1st November to 8th December!

You can get a fare on Jetstar Brisbane-Christchurch for $199 return.
Read more : Cheap airfares Oz-NZ | Views : 7981 | Replies : 0

Mt Earnslaw/Pikirakatahi page upgrade

After failing to get a response from Duxe1975 about the poor state of the Earnslaw page (it was voted down to about 27% or thereabouts), I took over the page and gave it a revamp.

I failed to get a link happening between the page and Mountain Bandit's Album of great shots from his trip to the mountain. I will try to fix this asap.

Meanwhile any suggestions, additions, criticisms etc are most welcome.

I ...
Read more : Mt Earnslaw/Pikirakatahi page upgrade | Views : 8943 | Replies : 2

Shooting Aoraki with a D7000.

Hi Guys,

A quick 3 minute video of me being guided up Aoraki - Mt Cook 3,778 m late November 2010. Except for one small clip of me on the top, all the clips and pics shot with a Nikon D7000. I believe the week after we climbed, the approach was effectively closed as the crevasses had opened up too much. (Normal route via Linda Glacier)

Feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAbkOhZLw0
Read more : Shooting Aoraki with a D7000. | Views : 11781 | Replies : 8

Sydney Tour guides wanted

Hi All

Think some of you may know me, i'm looking for more tour guides for my sydney base checkout my website www.australianwildescapes.com to see what we do... no high adventure stuff just vehicle based touring to high end clients.
As much as i'd love to get as many s-p onboard as possible i will only be considering Sydney based people who know the surrounding areas (City, Blue Mtns, ...
Read more : Sydney Tour guides wanted | Views : 8481 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293