It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 pm

News News of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Site map of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) » Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Baker

CC has trip report that CD route on Baker is questionable??? Is that true? Thinking of taking a newbie up there over the 4th of July week... What's the report there please?
Read more : Baker | Views : 7665 | Replies : 6

West Rib/Mile Creek route on Jefferson

Based on looking over some guide books, this looks it is probably the easiest and most direct route on Jefferson (provided there is still good snow coverage on the rib). However, this route also doesn't seem to be very popular. What am I missing here? Anyone have any experience on this route.
Read more : West Rib/Mile Creek route on Jefferson | Views : 2555 | Replies : 0

Beginner mountaineering in Washington

I'm looking to see some glaciers in the north cascades i do a little bit of scrambling here and there. I'm summiting Eldorado peak this summer and looking to find another peak with glaciers and doable under class 3.
Read more : Beginner mountaineering in Washington | Views : 13915 | Replies : 6

South Eary Winter Spire

Climbed SEWS sw coulior today... snow was firm from car to summit, softened on the way out. Coulior 90% snow covered. A little bit of bare rock, scree toward the top. We saw no one on any route on SEWS! Lots of skiers in open areas. Perfect weather.Image The usual greeter on the summit... those animals can really climb....
Read more : South Eary Winter Spire | Views : 2328 | Replies : 0

Rainier Emmons - mid June vs late July

Hey folks, my friends and I are going to make a Rainier attempt this year, most likely via the Emmons route. Unfortunately, with everyone's schedules there are only two weeks that really suit. The first is mid June (~15 - 23 June) and the next option is the end of July (~21 - 28 July). Any suggestions from folks with experience of this route at those times of year would be appreciated.

It looks like ...
Read more : Rainier Emmons - mid June vs late July | Views : 4616 | Replies : 3

North Cascade Highway

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2019/03/2 ... -has-begun

Good news... maybe the only news here at the moment... fyi :roll:
Read more : North Cascade Highway | Views : 4260 | Replies : 3

Looking for partners / Joining a Mt. Rainier expedition

Hi,

I'm relatively new to alpine/winter climbing but am hoping to do a Mt. Rainier winter expedition as practice for Denali and other Himalayan treks. I recently finished an Aconcagua attempt (made it to 6,400m via the 360 route) and have summited Kilimanjaro and Elbrus. I'm comfortable with crampons and ice axe use and exposure at high altitude. I also have experience rock climbing (leading 5.10 - 5.11 sport climbs) outdoors. I go to school ...
Read more : Looking for partners / Joining a Mt. Rainier expedition | Views : 4167 | Replies : 2

Ice Climbing Within Driving Distance of Seattle

We have scheduled a trip to climb Mount Rainier but it is looking like the Avy danger might be a bit high. I am trying to find other things to do such as ice climbing.

Any good ice climbing with in driving distance of Seattle? Hyalite Canyon was suggested and that is about a 10 hour drive from Seattle. Any other suggestions?
Read more : Ice Climbing Within Driving Distance of Seattle | Views : 3982 | Replies : 1

Rainier Over Thanksgiving - Questions Rainier Over Thanksgiving - Questions

Hey all,

We are planning on climbing Rainier over Thanksgiving via Disappointment Cleaver. Looking for advice and any observations that might be helpful.

Questions:
Is the climbers hut usable during the winter? We are fine tenting it but the hut would be helpful.
Does the Muir Snowfield ever avalanche?
Is there a better route nearby that would be more advisable during the winter?

Thanks in advance.
Erik
Read more : Rainier Over Thanksgiving - Questions | Views : 4618 | Replies : 4

Fall Colors in Washington State Album is back!!

Fall Colors in Washington State is back!! Feel free to contribute your photos.
Read more : Fall Colors in Washington State Album is back!! | Views : 3159 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136368