It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:23 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Film Premiere - The North Face - Golden, CO

The American Alpine Club is co-hosting a sneak preview of North Face the Movie at 6:00 pm this Friday (1/29) at the Alpine Center in Golden. The event is free. Drinks are $2. Cheers!
Read more : Film Premiere - The North Face - Golden, CO | Views : 1938 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Colorado

Where to live in coastal Southern California?

I'm living in Boulder, Colorado currently and loving it. But 2011 may find me back in California and this time in the south. Where are the good towns in southern coastal California? I come from Santa Cruz, so a community with the arts and not too much of the plastic, strip mall type environment would be ideal and relatively easy access to climbing is imperative. Does this even exist? What about Encinitis? Any ideas would ...
Read more : Where to live in coastal Southern California? | Views : 16990 | Replies : 72 | Forum : California

Mount Hopkins (Near Tucson) - Whipple Observatory

Hello Arizonans,

I am getting quite mixed :? results when trying to determine whether or not I'm able to hike to the summit of Mount Hopkins near Tucson.

Details range from:

What's the big deal? Just follow the many trails to the summit and scoot around and enjoy the observatory structures, etc.

to

No! You can't go to the summit without registering for the guided Whipple Obseratory ...
Read more : Mount Hopkins (Near Tucson) - Whipple Observatory | Views : 3386 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Coffee Talk

What's your gear of choice for brewing coffee or espresso on the hill? Seems more ad's feature them these days. I've long done cowboy coffee, but, would like to see what exists for espresso making. Way off topic, but a part of climbing, no?
Read more : Coffee Talk | Views : 10248 | Replies : 63 | Forum : General

FS: La Sportiva Trango S boots, Patagonia shell and more

Cleaning out the gear room....pm me if you're interested. I can also provide more pictures, measurements, or whatever you need. Shipping is $6, no matter how much you buy. Local buyers can pick stuff up in American Fork, UT.

La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX mountaineering boots, size 41.5 (~8.5 US): these were touted as a summer alpine boot, but they're pretty good at doing a bunch of different stuff. They're used, but have light ...
Read more : FS: La Sportiva Trango S boots, Patagonia shell and more | Views : 3607 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Gear

Free screening of North Face the movie - Bloomington, MN

I saw this on the REI site. Not sure if they are doing it at other locations.

North Face the Movie - Special Free Prescreening
2/26/2010 6:00 PM

Based on a true story, NORTH FACE is a gripping adventure drama about a competition to climb the most dangerous rock face in the Alps.

In 1936, Nazi propaganda urges German Alpinists to conquer the unclimbed north face of the Swiss massif, the Eiger, bringing two reluctant ...

Could a Frozen Camera Dethrone Hillary and Norgay

Hmmm... interesting. I've read a couple of the Mallory-Irvine books and I want to say that they all pretty much concluded by saying something like, "They probably didn't make it, but who knows?" Good luck to the expedition.
Read more : Could a Frozen Camera Dethrone Hillary and Norgay | Views : 1699 | Replies : 6 | Forum : News

avi terrain decision making survey - help a PhD student

Received this from the Co Avalanche Information Center (CAIC):

Shay Bright is a Ph.D. candidate working on how groups of backcountry recreationalists make decisions in avalanche terrain. Please help her collect data for her dissertation by filling out a short survey. The survey will be online for one more week . Please check it out!

Your answers to the survey should come from one day when you were out ...
Read more : avi terrain decision making survey - help a PhD student | Views : 2065 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Want to buy: Wall hammer and iron.

Looking for a hammer w/ funkness hole and pitons. Not looking for anything new or collector stuff. Looking to take my climbing in a new direction and these are needed.

Thanks for reading
Read more : Want to buy: Wall hammer and iron. | Views : 505 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136394