It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Aconcagua: Any outfits use Hotel Refugio as base camp?

I am thinking of climbing/trekking Aconcagua via the normal route in Jan/Feb next year. After researching some of the larger outfits i.e. Inka, I came across the Hotel Refugio and the idea of being able to sleep in a bed and shower periodically is appealing. I know that there are shower facilities at the base camp at Plaza de Mulas - but I am specifically looking for outfits which use Hotel Refugio as a base ...
Read more : Aconcagua: Any outfits use Hotel Refugio as base camp? | Views : 1587 | Replies : 4 | Forum : South America

Zugspitze info

Can't really find a decent map of the route to take. Two seem rather obvious though. Yet, I could be mistaken.

Original map can be found here: http://dreams.world.coocan.jp/photo/znif/germany/zugspitze/t_Zugspitze_German_Alps_eng.jpg
Read more : Zugspitze info | Views : 6579 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Europe

Shivling - Gangotri

Anyone know anything about Shivling and the climbing it offers? Routes, contacts, etc. or if anyone is keen PM me.

There's no entry on SP and not much info on google. It's a very striking mountain in India, near the Gangotri Glacier.
Read more : Shivling - Gangotri | Views : 1314 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Asia

Elbrus winter ascent

I read on this forum once a suggestion to climb Elbrus in winter to prepare for an Everest climb. That intrigued me, because I've never read about any winter ascents being done on Elbrus, but that could possibly be because there are so many people climbing it each year that it's common for at least a few people to attempt it during winter.

However, Elbrus is supposed to be a cold mountain with volatile weather. ...
Read more : Elbrus winter ascent | Views : 5490 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Europe

Cordon del Plata.. a trip report

Well sort of.

I´m posting to my blog, http://brandonlampley.blogspot.com/

Made the summit of Rincon 3 days after leaving Mendoza, survived a freak katabatic wind that blew away the outfitter´s shelters from Salto, got in a couple rock routes of sorts, and met summitpost´s own DavidGalvin and Danielle.
Read more : Cordon del Plata.. a trip report | Views : 1076 | Replies : 1 | Forum : South America

Himalaya Photography Book For Sale - SOLD

Thanks for looking, but book is sold.

In case people here are not checking the gear forum, have a look. A 1972 edition of the classic Shirakawa book. A superb copy at a great price.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43158
Read more : Himalaya Photography Book For Sale - SOLD | Views : 760 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Asia

Availability of freezefried backpacker food in South America

Hi,
I wonder about availability & prices of backpacker food like "Backpacker's Pantry" or "Mountain House" in countries like Peru, Argentina, Chile. Anyone who can tell about previous experience? How easy/difficult are they to find? Is it better to bring as much as we need upfront?
We're planning for some mountaineering objectives and I found those products very helpful during my US trips. Thanks for your notes, darc
Read more : Availability of freezefried backpacker food in South America | Views : 4885 | Replies : 5 | Forum : South America

Trip to NZ

I´m coming down to NZ end of Feb.

Is this the right plug for NZ? (Basic question I know - but with various electric stuff that I´ll be bringing, it´s important)

Cheers

Charleshttp://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#plugs_i
Read more : Trip to NZ | Views : 2057 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

orizaba logistic

I'm planning a trip to Orizaba, on the normal route. I read a loot of info about the peak, but I'm still looking for some prices regarding 4x4 trip to the hut, lodging in Tlachichuca, bus transportation, best place to stay, meals, etc.
Thank you.
Read more : orizaba logistic | Views : 3465 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

What to wear on Aconcagua?

I'm just wondering if anybody can share what they wore climbing Aconcagua? Head to toe. Thanks
Read more : What to wear on Aconcagua? | Views : 1128 | Replies : 2 | Forum : South America

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136394