It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Ecuador boot opinions please.

How light of a boot can I get away with on Illiniza Norte or Corazon? I'm thinking my Trangos may be a little overkill and my old, they've been everywhere, Merrell Moab GTXs are not quite enough. I could leave the Moabs behind which is a benefit, just planing on needing waterproof or I could go lighter I guess. leaving next week. Thanks,
Read more : Ecuador boot opinions please. | Views : 3835 | Replies : 2

Tips (or partners) climbing Huayna Potosi, Bolivia

2 friends and I planning to climb Huayna Potosi (6100m) and Illimani (6400m) in Bolivia this February. Our previous climb was Pico de Orizaba (5700m) but other than that, we are pretty fresh.

Looking for technical and gear tips for these objectives, and/or a more experienced partner(s) to join us, so that we can learn the ropes, literally. :)

Has anybody had personal experience on these mountains? ...
Read more : Tips (or partners) climbing Huayna Potosi, Bolivia | Views : 7003 | Replies : 6

Logistics agencies Santiago, Chile

Can anyone suggest/recommend a mountaineering logistics agency in/near Santiago, Chile? My friends and I are looking at climbing Marmolejo (world's southernmost 6000er) and we don't need a climbing guide, but we are looking for logistical support (transportation, mules, food, etc.).
Read more : Logistics agencies Santiago, Chile | Views : 4250 | Replies : 1

Aconcagua normal route trail conditions

Hello Aco vets,

I see that some gear lists for the Normal Route include an ice ax and crampons even during peak summer months. Is there significant hard ice at this time of year, and is there really opportunity for self-arrest on steep grades? Or is this just guide service conservatism?

Thanks much!

Cheers,

John
Read more : Aconcagua normal route trail conditions | Views : 4170 | Replies : 2

Cordillera Blanca in November. Craziness or not?

Hello climbers, mountaineers and all the mountain-lovers :)

Earlier this year me and a friend purchased error-fare flight tickets to Peru. Cheap as they were, we could not choose the dates too well and we ended up flying mid-November and returning mid-December.

Our only plan for Peru so far is to be in the mountains. We have fresh experience from 4000+ m peaks in the Alps up ...
Read more : Cordillera Blanca in November. Craziness or not? | Views : 35349 | Replies : 5

Huayna Potosi guide and timing

I'm planning a trip to climb Huayna Potosi in early October 2017.
I'm looking for any recommendation on a guide and feedback on attempting an October ascent.
Thanks,
Read more : Huayna Potosi guide and timing | Views : 4261 | Replies : 1

Ojos del salado guides

Hello all,

I am planning to climb Ojos del salado in late December early January timeframe. I am only one person and would like to know if anyone is planning it around the same timeframe.
Also, any recommendations on finding a good guide for a fair price?

Thanks
Read more : Ojos del salado guides | Views : 3374 | Replies : 0

Cordillera Blanca for Beginners

Hello,

A friend and I will be traveling to Huaraz at the end of July and spending around 2 weeks in the Cordillera Blanca. We've been doing quite a bit of research on mountains in the region, and would like to do our first real climb while we're there. We have no mountaineering experience, so we will go with a guide and choose a route that is not technically difficult. However, we are both distance ...
Read more : Cordillera Blanca for Beginners | Views : 6911 | Replies : 4

Bolivia (Condoriri, Illimani, Huayna Potosi) info

I am planning an unguided trip to Bolivia for spring/summer 2018. I would appreciate the opportunity to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip in the last few years. We are planning to try some peaks (mostly standard routes) in the Condoriri group and either Illimani or Huayna Potosi. If you would be willing to share logistical, weather, gear, and route information, please send me a message. Thanks.

Aaron
Read more : Bolivia (Condoriri, Illimani, Huayna Potosi) info | Views : 4191 | Replies : 1

Huascaran

Has anyone climbed Huascaran the last year or 2? Can you give report, thank you.
Read more : Huascaran | Views : 7354 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367