It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Partners Wanted - Peru - June through August 2017

I am looking for partners to climb and trek around Huaraz , Peru for the 2017 climbing season. I am an experienced climber, my wife is an avid trekker and easy peak climber. Pisco, Urus, Ishinca and other easy/moderate peaks will make up the majority of our itinerary but I would like to climb some technical peaks like Alpamayo as well (my wife will stay at base camp).

Both of us speak fluent Spanish and ...
Read more : Partners Wanted - Peru - June through August 2017 | Views : 7798 | Replies : 7

Weather and Itinerary in Cordillera Blanca

I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Cordillera Blanca, and I was wondering what the weather on the mountains would be like. I'm planning on climbing Urus, Ishinca and Tocllaraju. How cold will it get?
Read more : Weather and Itinerary in Cordillera Blanca | Views : 7327 | Replies : 5

Huayan Potosi - Good operator and route of the climb

Just wanted to know how steep the bergschund is upon Huayana Potosi and how technical a climb it is to cross it? What is the steepest gradient upon the normal route as well
Read more : Huayan Potosi - Good operator and route of the climb | Views : 4183 | Replies : 1

Aconcagua questions

Hello all,

After a few years of putting off Aconcagua for various reasons I have finally decided to attempt it at the end of this year. I am looking to go as a pair and get logistics to basecamp.

I have a bunch of questions I am hoping people can provide some information on:

- I am looking to get some new boots, my Spantiks run a little big and I am looking to replace ...
Read more : Aconcagua questions | Views : 12582 | Replies : 13

Seirra Nevada Expeditions (Ecuador) still the best?

My sister and I are pllanning a Trip to Ecuador. We have minimal mountaineering experience but lots of hiking and canoeing experience. My understanding is that Ecuador has some of the less technical mountains so it's a good place to get started.

We're looking for a guide. So far everything has pointed to Seirra Nevada Expeditions being really good (and substantially cheaper than some of the companies with more online reviews). However, all the info ...
Read more : Seirra Nevada Expeditions (Ecuador) still the best? | Views : 5550 | Replies : 3

Easy Peaks in Cordillera Blanca in early/mid May

Hi all, I am a novice here looking to climb some easy peaks (i.e. Vallunaraju, Ishinca) in Cordillera Blanca with a guide. Understood the ideal climbing season is June to August but I am only able to take time off in early-mid May this year :( . Although the local climbing company assured me these mountains can be climbed in May, I am still concerned that going ...
Read more : Easy Peaks in Cordillera Blanca in early/mid May | Views : 4856 | Replies : 1

Cordillera Real Logbooks/Beta?

Hello Forum,

I am involved in planning an 'expedition' of sorts to the Cordillera Real in 2017. Our main objectives are
1. Cabeza de Condor via a normal route
2. Followed by a less frequently climbed route up the NW Ridge of Huayna Potosi and
3. Ultimately a climb via the normal west face of Illampu.

What I am looking for is a logbook resource such as our own here or Peakbook that concentrates on ...
Read more : Cordillera Real Logbooks/Beta? | Views : 3481 | Replies : 1

tour operator for Bolivia trip august 2017

Hi all,

Our program for august 2017 in Bolivia is made, BUT up to now I have no clue how to go about logistics there.
Any good contacts?
Our (3 pax team so far) plan: La Paz & Isla del Sol for acclimatization, Pico Austria, Pequeno Alpamayo, Cabeza del Condor & Huaina Potosi as first block. Second block Ilimani and last but not least: Acotango or Parinacota (depending on the still available energy after having ...
Read more : tour operator for Bolivia trip august 2017 | Views : 3836 | Replies : 2

Need advice on Ecuador mountaineering trip

I will be going with a friend down to Ecuador for 2 weeks ( +/- a few days as necessary ) in the beginning of January with the intent of getting as much as we can out of the mountaineering opportunities there. Just for some background info, we're from the Northeast US and can handle ourselves with crampons and an ice axe and have technical ice/rock experience but have no high altitude experience and very ...
Read more : Need advice on Ecuador mountaineering trip | Views : 5881 | Replies : 7

Acclimatizing at Aconcagua

Hi,

I'm looking forward to doing Aconcagua this season. I'm 29 years old. I've been up to 6000 meters altitute in the past. But that was more than four years ago (and that's still roughly 1000 meters less than aconcagua).

Do you think I would acclimatize well with Aconcagua given my experience.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who could advice.
Read more : Acclimatizing at Aconcagua | Views : 4612 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136394