It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

El Chalten - Easy Climb

Hi All,

My wife & I are spending 4 whole days in El Chalten & we wanted to make the most of it by climbing (hiking) an easy non-technical mountain in the area where we can get spectacular views. Are you able to recommend anything that takes one to four days to climb (guided or unguided)? We don't even mind doing multiple smaller climbs (1/2 day climbs).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
MD
Read more : El Chalten - Easy Climb | Views : 5116 | Replies : 1

Where do you buy your topo maps??

I will be visiting the Cordillera Blanca region down in Peru this next summer and wanted to buy some big maps to start planning some stuff out. Where is the best place to buy detailed maps of that area? Or just of Peru in general?
Read more : Where do you buy your topo maps?? | Views : 3509 | Replies : 1

Possible May (2017) Peru trip

Hey all! I have long thought about going to Peru before and doing some backpacking, trad climbing, and maybe a few higher peaks down there (no high grade snow climbing). I was curious if anybody on here has ever been to Peru/wants to go to Peru and has any thoughts about a trip like this?? I just price scoped some tickets from May 6th (when I get out of college) to May 26th and its ...
Read more : Possible May (2017) Peru trip | Views : 7121 | Replies : 6

El Chalten, Patagonia? El Chalten, Patagonia?

I'm passing through El Chalten in November and some of the peaks seem fairly accessible and easy enough without me having to haul my full mountaineering kit out there. In particular, Cerro Solo, Cerro Eléctrico and Mojon Rojo. Has anyone done any of these and can advise?

Thanks!
Read more : El Chalten, Patagonia? | Views : 3565 | Replies : 2

Aconcagua guide check

I'm planning on doing a guided climb up Aconcagua in 2017, but I wanted to check something out with you guys first.

Has anyone used or heard anything about a man called Gaston Oyarzun? I am being put in touch with him via a website called Explore Share:

https://www.explore-share.com/

If anyone has any info on him or the website can you reply and let me know? Thanks.
Read more : Aconcagua guide check | Views : 4587 | Replies : 4

Getting back country in Patagonia? Getting back country in Patagonia?

Myself and a friend will be in Argentina this November and wanted to get some "off the beaten track" hiking in. We're experienced climbers but won't having climbing gear and instead just wanted to get away from the crowds and get into some decent back country wilderness. Potentially some easier peaks that don't necessarily require our technical kit.

Maybe want to provision up and spend a week trekking. Any suggestions appreciated... starting / provisioning points, ...
Read more : Getting back country in Patagonia? | Views : 2950 | Replies : 0

Aconcagua January 2017

Does anyone planning on climbing Aconcagua beginning of January 2017 and also wondering if anyone has used the company Aconcagua Adventures before http://aconcaguaadventures.com ?
I'm in Chicago and looking to meet people that are going.

Thanks,
Matt.
Read more : Aconcagua January 2017 | Views : 10596 | Replies : 11

Backpacking/trekking in central Chile Backpacking/trekking in central Chile

Hi all,
I am traveling to Chile around December and I am looking for backpacking routes in Central Chile. I will be flying into Santiago, and making my way over to Valparaiso for the rest of the month. I am not limited at all to this area, but not really looking on going anywhere more than ten hours away by bus. I am looking for a self guided trip, and wondering if anyone could offer ...
Read more : Backpacking/trekking in central Chile | Views : 3872 | Replies : 2

Hatun Machay is going... going... gone!

If you don´t know yet, there´s some conflict going on between the local community and the guy who ran the refuge at Hatun Machay. Business conflict aside, the fact is that until July 14th of this year, 20 of the 24 sectors in the area had the bolts on the routes completely removed, or the first and second bolts removed, or worse still, the last bolts of the route removed. All sectors close to the ...
Read more : Hatun Machay is going... going... gone! | Views : 3140 | Replies : 2

Huascaran Sur July beta wanted Huascaran Sur July beta wanted

Planning summit attempt of Huascaran Sur, standard route. Anyone have any current beta on the condition of the route, garganta etc...?
Read more : Huascaran Sur July beta wanted | Views : 2954 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367