It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:22 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Gas canister in San Juan / Argentina

As Mendoza's airport ist closed till early december I will arrive in San Juan and thinking about to start my mountain trip from there. Does sombody knows where to buy gas canisters in San Juan?
Read more : Gas canister in San Juan / Argentina | Views : 2970 | Replies : 0

Risk of theft in Cordillera Blanca

What is the general opinion on gear safety at your basecamp in the less populated valleys?

We are planning a trip to one of the less popular Quebradas for a week or so while we attempt 2-3 acclimatization peaks. We are able to carry most of our gear but likely will need to hire an arriero and a burro, but want to hire him only for the trek in. Is there a risk of leaving ...
Read more : Risk of theft in Cordillera Blanca | Views : 4676 | Replies : 6

Refuge food (Ishinca Valley). Any feedback?

Have any of you taken ill from the food served by the ishinca valley refuge? How safe is it for foreigners, compared with hiring an independent cook?
Read more : Refuge food (Ishinca Valley). Any feedback? | Views : 4530 | Replies : 8

General 2016 conditions around Ishinca valley?

Anyone been to the ishinca valley recently? Will be heading there to climb in a month, and so am looking around for any beta photos or conditions reports, as additional pieces of info on how the climbing season is shaping up.
Read more : General 2016 conditions around Ishinca valley? | Views : 10091 | Replies : 27

***GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR Torres del Paine ***

I'll be hitting Torres del Paine at the end of the month and wanted to know who has been there and what you would change about your gear selection looking back on your hike of "The W."

What size packs did those of you who independently hiked The W use?

Also, I plan on not using the Refuge's and tenting it the entire time.
Read more : ***GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR Torres del Paine *** | Views : 4487 | Replies : 5

Ushuaia accommodation - tips?

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations on cheap and cheerful accommodation in Ushuaia for December. For comparison, think more Star Hotel / Pheasant Lodge, rather than the Radison (Kathmandu accommodation analogy).

Thanks!
Read more : Ushuaia accommodation - tips? | Views : 3031 | Replies : 0

May 2017 Ecuador Trip

Hey guys, so me and three or four other buddies have started bullshitting around with the idea of going down to Ecuador to climb Chimborazo next May (2017).. Does anybody have any major pointers or advice to give us? I am aware that you must hire a guide, does anyone have experience with a guiding service for that area?? I am really just super stoked for this and wanted to hear if anybody had advice ...
Read more : May 2017 Ecuador Trip | Views : 4200 | Replies : 3

Ecuador's earthquake and tourism

Many of you may know already about the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Ecuador. The Region mainly affected by the earthquake is the Pacific Coast and the Provinces on Esmeraldas, Manabi and Guayas. Other Natural Regions, Andes, Amazon and Galapagos have been declared intact and fully operational and catering to tourism.

Here's some extra info...

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/tourism-centers-largely-intact-as-death-toll-rises-after-78-magnitude-earthquake-in-ecuador.html
Read more : Ecuador's earthquake and tourism | Views : 3540 | Replies : 1

Easy Mountain to Climb in Patagonia

Hi All,

The wife & I are planning a trip to Patagonia in November this year & wanted to spend 1-3 days hiking / trekking (nothing technical) up a mountain (guided if possible) with spectacular views from the summit. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Read more : Easy Mountain to Climb in Patagonia | Views : 11924 | Replies : 8

Aconcagua normal route gps coordinates

The link at the 2013 post is no longer active. Any leads on waypoint / gps data / maps for the normal route on Aconcagua? - or - any recommendations on searchable databases for routes outside of the US?

Thanks much!

John
Read more : Aconcagua normal route gps coordinates | Views : 5178 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557929 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136359