It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Humpfrey and Wheeler in winter

Anybody have suggestions on hiking AZ and NM highpoints in winter ? I'm thinking on trying it in March 2024
Read more : Humpfrey and Wheeler in winter | Views : 1874 | Replies : 3

Snow conditions on Wheeler Peak

I'll be making a summit bid on Wheeler Peak via the loop that includes Doso Doyobi next week and wanted to know if anyone has beta on current snow conditions.

I'm sure snowshoes are a must, but wanted to check first as any weight that I can shed will be helpful.

Many thanks.
Read more : Snow conditions on Wheeler Peak | Views : 4735 | Replies : 0

Great Basin Skiing

Backcountry skiers/riders - would love beta on late winter/early spring skiing in vicinity of Wheeler Peak in Great Basin Nat'l Park. Going to reconnoiter the area in two weeks, but certainly appreciate some live knowledge of access and aspects for "typical" winter into spring. :)
Read more : Great Basin Skiing | Views : 1952 | Replies : 1

Backpacking 2-4 days in New Mexico in late May

I'm looking for some recommendations for backpacking routes in New Mexico in late May. I'm planning to fly into Albuquerque on May 17th and then have several days of flexibility in my schedule. I'd like to find some backpacking and hiking for about four days, either stringing together one long 4-day/3-night hike or some combination of shorter trips with some day hikes. I'm willing to drive a bit, so I've seen options including Pecos Wilderness, ...
Read more : Backpacking 2-4 days in New Mexico in late May | Views : 3814 | Replies : 1

Tucson rock climbing Feb 5-9

I'll be in Tuscon area Friday February 5 through Tuesday February 9. I already had COVID a few months ago and am not contagious and sicne I had it should have an immunity so I won't be getting anyone sick.

Does anyone want to do some rock climbs? I am very experienced, but don't climb hard anymore and am past my prime. I'm more a 5.8 and below kind of guy.
Read more : Tucson rock climbing Feb 5-9 | Views : 2226 | Replies : 2

Nevada, Missing Paraglider Pilot

Nevada explorers, there is a missing paragliding pilot that was lost 16 days ago. James "Kiwi" Oroc is a paraglider pilot missing in Nevada. Last tracker point was seen on Saturday 22 August, at 2:14pm southwest of Eureka, Nevada. Please visit this Gofundme and Facebook page for more info. It may be you that can help bring him home to his family.

Eventually perhaps we will find him.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/missing-paraglider-pilot-needs-help?fbclid=IwAR0MN_PdV_gGngU-a-xco15w7erMJD2y9j3Ns0eFwVEno14wZDpZQjdAkGU

https://www.facebook.com/FindThatKiwi/

Couldn't post in the Southwest ...
Read more : Nevada, Missing Paraglider Pilot | Views : 3647 | Replies : 1

Boundary Peak via Queen Canyon - Road Conditions?

Does anyone know the condition of Queen Canyon Road to Boundary Peak, NV? Thanks!
Read more : Boundary Peak via Queen Canyon - Road Conditions? | Views : 2904 | Replies : 0

Humphreys access

Does the imminent closure of the ski season on Humphreys mean we no longer need to worry about the rules of “uphill access”? Thanks.
Read more : Humphreys access | Views : 7773 | Replies : 1

New snow on Humphreys Peak?

Any info on whether Humphreys Peak got new snow from the current weather system?

Any guess how much might dump later in the week? Thanks.
Read more : New snow on Humphreys Peak? | Views : 5296 | Replies : 5

Pecos Wilderness January

Hi Everyone,

I’m going to be in Santa Fe and thinking of doing snowshoeing in Pecos starting from Aspen Basin for a few days.

Has anyone done snowshoeing with camping in January? I’m aware of the cold temperatures. I’m more wondering about any stream crossings, exposed areas etc. like things I should watch out for.

I’m not planning to summit(sorry), will mostly stay on trails. Maybe hike to some lakes and back. Out and back ...
Read more : Pecos Wilderness January | Views : 4347 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367