It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Snow gone from trail on Wheeler Peak, NV?

Heading to Wheeler Peak in Nevada in 2 weeks and wondering if there’s likely to be any snow on the trail. I’m hoping I can get away with trail runners. Thanks.
Read more : Snow gone from trail on Wheeler Peak, NV? | Views : 5360 | Replies : 3

Wheeler Peak NM conditions

Greetings.

Will be in Taos next weekend and planning on taking a shot at Wheeler. Anyone have intel on current snow levels/trail conditions, and gear recommendations? Looking at Bull of the Woods or Williams Lake trails.

Thanks for any advice!
Read more : Wheeler Peak NM conditions | Views : 4295 | Replies : 1

Emory Peak - Pinnacle trail

The"red tape" said that part of it will be closed for falcon nesting. Does that mean it's useless to take it to the summit?
Read more : Emory Peak - Pinnacle trail | Views : 3383 | Replies : 1

Red Rock scrambling in April

Will be out in Red Rock (Vegas) from 4/11-4/18 for some class-3/4 action. If anyone's around and up for joining, send me a PM. :-)

-Terry
Read more : Red Rock scrambling in April | Views : 3044 | Replies : 0

Climbing/canyoneering Vegas area

Is anyone else going to be in the Vegas area over the holidays? We'll be doing climbing canyoneering down there if anyone is interested.
Read more : Climbing/canyoneering Vegas area | Views : 3115 | Replies : 0

Dispersed Camping in Texas?

I am currently living in Dallas and need some time away from all this concrete, people, and flatland. I am hoping to find a good spot to stay in the Sportsmobile for a few days that is not in a campground and just spend some time in nature. I have searched online and did not find anything. If there is any dispersed camping here in Texas, your recommendations would be more than greatly appreciated!
Read more : Dispersed Camping in Texas? | Views : 18181 | Replies : 10

Name of this peak near Wheeler in NM

NMpeak.jpg

I just returned from an attempt to run to the summit of Wheeler Peak in the Taos region of New Mexico. Didn't make it because I was wearing trail runners (no crampons or ice ax) and opted to turn around rather than cross a snow-covered slope with significant exposure.

My question: I stopped on top of a peak that my GPS said was 13,042 feet high. Not Walter or Wheeler, ...
Read more : Name of this peak near Wheeler in NM | Views : 4509 | Replies : 2

st.george - where to stay?

planning climbing trip with several days in St. George, Utah...
Can someone recommend decent affordable ( ~$20/night) accommodations, both indoors and camping?
Thanks,
V
Read more : st.george - where to stay? | Views : 3145 | Replies : 0

3 hours from Yuma

My son is in the US Marine Corps, and currently stationed in Yuma Arizona. He is not able to get leave to come back home for the holidays, so my wife and I are planning to visit him in January or February. Yuma seems within 2-3 hours of a lot of places (San Diego to the west, Phoenix and Tucson to the east). What area makes sense to visit for 3-4 days of day trip ...
Read more : 3 hours from Yuma | Views : 6098 | Replies : 6

Mount Charleston in March - Conditions? Gear?

I'm heading to Vegas the end of March, and would like to hike Mount Charleston. Based on the reading I've done, I expect snow cover, but was hoping for some local insight if available. I've hiked snow-covered 14ers previously with microspikes - can I expect the snow conditions to be firm enough for microspikes, or should I come with snowshoes? I'm just looking for traction aid questions - I'll have cold weather insulation gear to ...
Read more : Mount Charleston in March - Conditions? Gear? | Views : 11753 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291