It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Wheeler car drop this Friday?

Probably a long shot but we will be doing Wheeler this Friday? It would be nice to do a bull to williams loop with a car at each TH. Anyone?
Read more : Wheeler car drop this Friday? | Views : 1148 | Replies : 0

Arizona 1,000-foot Prominence List

List lovers rejoice. The link below leads to a complete list of all 430 (or so) mountains in Arizona with 1,000 feet of clean prominence.

http://www.surgent.net/highpoints/az/azp1k.html

Credit is given where appropriate on the page itself.

I am pleased to add another list to the pantheon of lists. Lists, after all, are what climbing is all about. If it's not on a list, what's the point, right?
Read more : Arizona 1,000-foot Prominence List | Views : 1206 | Replies : 0

Saguaro Question

So I purchased a foot tall saguaro spring break 2010 and brought him home to Colorado (which is probably illegal), so I'm wondering if any of you have experience with growing a saguaro in a pot. Are there any tips/precautions I should take with him? He comes inside at night during the freeze months.
Read more : Saguaro Question | Views : 1406 | Replies : 3

Wheeler Peak, NM: trail closures?

Hi. I am planning an attempt to summit Wheeler Peak in New Mexico within a couple of weeks, but heard that the trails were closed due to the fires. My goal is to start hiking from Taos... Curious: has anyone made any attempts to summit this beautiful place within the last month? If so, will you please let me know if your attempts were via the Taos side of the mountain or the Red River ...
Read more : Wheeler Peak, NM: trail closures? | Views : 4318 | Replies : 14

Bandelier Burned?

I was looking at a map of the Los Conchas fire and it seems as though most of Banderlier has been burned over. Is this the case? Does anyone know how badly things have burned there?

Why does the east side of the Jemez continue to burn so badly?
Read more : Bandelier Burned? | Views : 1469 | Replies : 3

Pecos conditions

I assume right now smoke and storms are the primary concerns. Anyone have any idea on the smoke imacts on the Truchas area? Thinking about heading up via Trampas Canyon up to Sheepshead this weekend. Best case will be getting rained out by the moisture from Arlene.

Thanks for any info.
Read more : Pecos conditions | Views : 1971 | Replies : 1

Grand Canyon Tips?

Trying to figure out the best strategy to get camping reservations in the Canyon. Haven't played this game before and was hoping that some fellow SPers might share some insight on maximizing the chance of scoring our reservations.

My older brother has decided he needs to see the Canyon from the inside before he kicks the bucket. I agreed to accompany him since I've been down to the river once before and also to keep ...
Read more : Grand Canyon Tips? | Views : 4234 | Replies : 11

Sandia Mtns closed

DUE TO FIRE DANGER:

Sandia Mountains are closed if you haven't heard

No Climbing til October probably...egad.
Read more : Sandia Mtns closed | Views : 1297 | Replies : 0

Winds on Wheeler Peak (NM)

I just hiked Humphery's Peak, Flagstaff Arizona, yesterday and while I was told by everyone a million times that it would be windy I don't know that I could have quite imagined it being as windy as it was. This was my first time at this altitude. I'm looking to hike Wheeler Peak (NM) at some point and I was wondering if I should expect similar conditions wind wise at the top. Thanks!
Read more : Winds on Wheeler Peak (NM) | Views : 3576 | Replies : 11

Vegas trail priorities

http://www.lvrj.com/news/gypsum-ridge-d ... 66603.html

The story above is about a plan to spend several million developing a 1.2-mile trail on the outskirts of Vegas.

While I am pro-preservation, and all for good trails, this one strikes me as odd and expensive. It is a bizarre counterpoint to California's budget woes, where they are seeking 22 million to keep some real gems open.

The area described is barren and nondescript. I ...
Read more : Vegas trail priorities | Views : 2244 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369