It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Camping on Humphreys Peak

Hi,

I understand camping isn't allowed above 11,400 feet on Humphreys Peak, but does anyone know if there are actually any half decent camping spots below that i.e. somewhere between 10,500 and 11,500 feet??

Thanks,

David
Read more : Camping on Humphreys Peak | Views : 17842 | Replies : 10

Conditions in Pecos Wilderness?

I may have the chance to make a trip out to the Pecos this weekend so just wanted to see what the snow conditions are like. Would probably just do Jicarita or something similar as I feel that is hikable even in snow as it is gently sloped and ~11mi round trip. I see that there has been some new snow with more to come soon.
This would be kind of a trial for a ...
Read more : Conditions in Pecos Wilderness? | Views : 2841 | Replies : 3

Dry tooling in New Mexico

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any decent dry tooling areas in New Mexico? (besides big block)

i know of the stuff in Los Alamos and the one climb next to Jemez Falls but im hoping for something more like big block.

Thanks!
Read more : Dry tooling in New Mexico | Views : 2046 | Replies : 1

New Mexico and Texas Peak Pages Up For Adoption

An early member of Summitpost quit recently and gutted the heart of New Mexico and Texas peak pages. While many were deleted, the elves were able to save some and put them up for adoption. These represent some of the highest and most important peaks in the states. It is sad that some of the best peaks in NM and TX have been lost or gutted. Now is the time to contribute some excellent new ...
Read more : New Mexico and Texas Peak Pages Up For Adoption | Views : 11586 | Replies : 36

Humphries Snow Conditions

Has anybody been on the summit of Humphries recently? I was wondering what the snow conditions are like. Specifically, is it skiable from the summit or near the summit.
Read more : Humphries Snow Conditions | Views : 2136 | Replies : 2

Tucson, AZ - places to camp ?

Were coming to see Okkevil River in June and jr. wants to camp. Are there any low cost/free campgrounds, or public lands where we could camp that are not too far from Tucson ? I don't want to drive in the dark for 2 hours after a show trying to find a campsite tho. Any suggestions ?

thanks.
Read more : Tucson, AZ - places to camp ? | Views : 2990 | Replies : 6

Interesting mountains / places to visit from Dallas

Hi,
I will be on business trip in Dallas (in June).
I'm looking for interesting mountains / places to visit for a weekend (not farther than 800 mi) .
I already visited Guadalupe national park and Palo Duro canyon.
Is there any ViaFerrata or easy rock climbing possible nearby?

Thank you for help,
Best regards
Dominik
---
www.goryidoliny.hostings.pl
Read more : Interesting mountains / places to visit from Dallas | Views : 30923 | Replies : 4

Vegas & Red Rocks next week

Girlfriend & I are making a pilgrimage to Red Rocks for the better part of next week to see what all the fuss is about (& the weather around our parts sucks for climbing). Haven't spent any time in Vegas other than stopping by an In 'n' Out whilst passing through, so I am basically clueless, other than my own stereotyped preconceptions of the place.

Any suggestions- from nightlife (unfortunately I'm not drinking for the ...
Read more : Vegas & Red Rocks next week | Views : 2332 | Replies : 8

Coconino National Forest

Hello,
after visiting the Northeast last year I have the chance to visit the US again, this time Arizona. Unfortunately on a very short notice and since I still have to prepare a lot of work I don't have any time to properly plan my two days off, which will be next weekend (March 12-13) :shock:

I decided to stay in a campground near Sedona (the area ...
Read more : Coconino National Forest | Views : 9303 | Replies : 24

Gila Wilderness - NM Gila Wilderness - NM

I'm interested in a backpack into the Gila Wilderness in SW New Mexico in late April - early May. I'd like to enter at the extreme NW corner, near where the S Fork of Whitewater Creek join the main branch, using Trail #207. Theirs an unnamed/unnumbered road which shows on my map which goes SSE from Bursum Rd for ~2 miles. This unnamed road "may" be called Powerplant Road based on a POI?

My questions: ...
Read more : Gila Wilderness - NM | Views : 10517 | Replies : 22

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367