It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Red Rock Canyon topo map?

I will be out at Death Valley, RR, and Zion for a couple weeks in April...

The last time I was in Vegas, I used a topo map my brother had for Red Rocks. It wasn't the greatest ever, but it had usable contour lines and showed all of the trails and peaks. I seem to recall seeing it in the shop at the visitor center, though I think my brother got it from the ...
Read more : Red Rock Canyon topo map? | Views : 6043 | Replies : 6

Mt Charleston in early May

I'm on a trip flying out of vegas on 8th May and was wondering whether Mt Charleston would be possible the day or two before. Having looked at the main page I've seen that there will almost certainly be snow left. Barring the usual caveat of depending on snow levels - how bad could it be? In particular will I get a car up to the trailhead (it'll be a rental) and would technical equipment ...
Read more : Mt Charleston in early May | Views : 2234 | Replies : 3

Red Rock C anyon (NV) proposed rules

This document Seems to suggest there will soon be extremely proscriptive rules for hiking in Red Rock. This version of the document was released just today. At first is seems to apply only to commercial interests, but language has been slipped in to restrict not-for-profit "organized groups." BLM has actually removed some of the definitions (e.g. part of the definition for "organized groups") in the past few days. Currently, no more than 50 people per ...
Read more : Red Rock C anyon (NV) proposed rules | Views : 2080 | Replies : 4

LVMC Classic 50

For those LVMC (Las Vegas Mountaineer Club) members there is a new page (list) for the LVMC Classic 50 on SP.

http://www.summitpost.org/las-vegas-mountaineers-club-lvmc-classic-50-peaks/696769

Enjoy
Read more : LVMC Classic 50 | Views : 866 | Replies : 0

Zion Backpacking

Hi all,

I'm coming to Zion in late April and am looking for a good backpack. Currently thinking about going up to Kolob Arch but also debating going up on the west rim but I understand that it may be difficult to get to Lava Point / through Little Siberia. Is this likely to be the case? Most of the info I've found just says winter is bad but no when it will be ok! ...
Read more : Zion Backpacking | Views : 4011 | Replies : 7

AZ Wilderness Lake - Does one exist? AZ Wilderness Lake - Does one exist?

I've been scanning my topo maps looking for a AZ wilderness lake and haven't found a single one. Must be related to glaciers or the lack thereof. In CO almost every wilderness has dozens if not hundreds of lakes.

If you know of a AZ wilderness lake, please help a frozen Coloradoan.

Thanks
Read more : AZ Wilderness Lake - Does one exist? | Views : 4012 | Replies : 10

Bubba's Picks

One of the great things about Summitpost is wealth of information on peaks and ranges that are not very well known and may be difficult to find beta on. A lot of these interesting peaks and ranges often slip through the cracks on this site and are only found when sought after, which may be infrequent. This is just my two cents but here are a couple of areas in the Southwest that I think ...
Read more : Bubba's Picks | Views : 1479 | Replies : 0

New forum for Utah

Hi all,

After reading member feedback and giving things some thought, I decided to make a separate forum for Utah. I hope people will find this helpful.

Please give me around a week to find and move all Utah-specific threads to this forum. After that, if you notice something I missed, please post it here or send PM to the elves.

Oh, and I'll delete the sticky in a week or two as well.
Read more : New forum for Utah | Views : 1418 | Replies : 1

Las Vegas April 14 - 17 climbing

I will be in Vegas, as my wife will be there for a conference. Any locals feel like guiding me around? I did Windy Peak and Turtlehead last year, I'd like to accomplish a lot more this year. Thanks, Troy
Read more : Las Vegas April 14 - 17 climbing | Views : 1903 | Replies : 1

Humphreys Peak Info

Hey all. In May, I'm going to be in the Flagstaff area and before I head to do the Grand Canyon would like to get in as much hiking as possible. The first thing that caught my eye was an ascent of Humphreys Peak. From what I've read thus far, I'm thinking of using the Inner Basin Trail as to avoid the big crowds but also have a decent length hike. I have quite a ...
Read more : Humphreys Peak Info | Views : 2761 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367