It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Hiking/Climbing/Bouldering near Westward Look in Tucson

Apologies for a last minute lazy query; I'm sure if I had bought a guidebook and done more research I'd have all the info I need. I'm flying to Tucson this afternoon for a college roomates' 50th birthday party. My other ex-roomates and I will be staying at the Westward Look Resort in Tucson, which I gather is north of town on the southwest side of the Santa Catalina Mtns.. I just realized that two ...
Read more : Hiking/Climbing/Bouldering near Westward Look in Tucson | Views : 1690 | Replies : 0

Hole in the Mountain Peak - difficulty?

I am headed to Salt Lake City for July 4th, from Reno and considering hitting Hole-in-the-Mountain Peak on the way. It seems short, but steep. Anyone every climb it? Is it pretty safe? I know it is hard, but seems like pretty doable given the short distance. Just a slog up boulders?
Read more : Hole in the Mountain Peak - difficulty? | Views : 1239 | Replies : 2

Current conditions - Griffith & Charleston?

I expect to be coming thru the area between the 16th - 19th and need to know if I should bother packing the snowshoes? (much easier to leave behind... but the knees don't do so well with extended post-holing)

Is the route up to Griffith (and beyond) clear yet... (or soon to be..)... or is it still buried from a heavy winter?
Read more : Current conditions - Griffith & Charleston? | Views : 2215 | Replies : 6

Help with trip planning AZ and UT

This june, I will be in Arizona and / or Utah for about 6 - 7 days. After looking around on the internet and reading some guide books, I feel like a kid in a candy store! There is so much beautiful stuff to see! Sadly, I only brought $1 to this candy store (my 6-7 days time limit), so I will need some help picking out destinations and trip ideas.

So far, things that ...
Read more : Help with trip planning AZ and UT | Views : 5800 | Replies : 14

Bouldering Near Ely, Nevada

Hey,

I'm heading back to Boise from Vegas in about a week. I plan on camping a night at Cave Lake near Ely, NV. Anyone know of any good bouldering spots near this area? or any between Ely and Jackpot?

Thanks
Read more : Bouldering Near Ely, Nevada | Views : 3462 | Replies : 2

Vegas Baby Vegas!!!

I'm off on a guy trip to Vegas this weekend and I would like to get in a quick desert peak on one of the days. I've been up to Mount Charleston many times and I'm looking for something different. I don't want to drive more than 45 minutes either. A little one would be fine. Thanks!
Read more : Vegas Baby Vegas!!! | Views : 2418 | Replies : 4

Sign Red Rocks anti-development petition by 20 April

Saw this on Mt Project.

Update:
Yet another attempt at putting in tract homes in Blue Diamond. Clark Co votes 21 April. Please sign today.
Read more : Sign Red Rocks anti-development petition by 20 April | Views : 1598 | Replies : 1

Route by Spare Rib in Red Rocks

When we decided to not wait for three parties ahead of us on Crimson, we went for Spare Rib (or so we thought). We got on a route one buttress to the left of Crimson, but I believe Spare Rib is one buttress to the East. Anyway, all went as expected until I finished the 3rd pitch and expected 5.4 to the top. Instead, there was a line of bolts up a blankish varnished face. ...
Read more : Route by Spare Rib in Red Rocks | Views : 680 | Replies : 0

Shameless plug for Bob Sumner

I've never met him, but Bob Sumner and I share much in common starting with our age and our peakbagging goals. I've seen his name in more than a hundred registers over the years in CA and NV and we've probably been atop more than 500 of the same summits. I've exchanged emails with him to discuss approach routes to remote peaks in the Sierra as he seems to like long day hikes as much ...
Read more : Shameless plug for Bob Sumner | Views : 804 | Replies : 0

Red Rock in late may - too hot?

What do you think? We climbed there in early March when it was cold so all routes in shady canyons are still to be climbed.
Read more : Red Rock in late may - too hot? | Views : 4706 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557932 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136363