It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Wheeler Peak: April 2010 Conditions

Planning to lead a group from TX through the southern Sangres a week from thurdsay (April 29th) and was hoping some of you fine New Mexicans could help me out with some current trail conditions. More specifically La Cal Basin. From what I understand the good lord is blessing the area with some showers so deep snow, rain and a basin campsite might not be ideal. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Read more : Wheeler Peak: April 2010 Conditions | Views : 1847 | Replies : 1

SP Member Slide Show at Backwoods Fort Worth April 12

Come out to Backwoods in Fort Worth April 12 at 7:00 and join me for a free slideshow of my climbs of Izta and Orizaba to benefit Big city mountaineers through the Summit for Someone program. I'd love to meet any local summitposters!

http://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=aDlra2pjcWZxZ21wNjVodGljaXJua3BjamsgbnVjdmw0bjhyYzA1OWhyaG9paWFqcG82Nm9AZw&ctz=America/Chicago
Read more : SP Member Slide Show at Backwoods Fort Worth April 12 | Views : 776 | Replies : 0

Santa Fe Area Hikes

We will be down in Santa Fe this weekend and would like to get some snow free hikes in. Any good 6-8 mile RT hikes in the surrounding areas that would be good for mid April?
Read more : Santa Fe Area Hikes | Views : 2140 | Replies : 3

Early June in the Pecos

We are looking at a 4/5 night trip in late May, early June to the Pecos. We are planning on hiking out and back from our family cabin on Highway 518 at Angostura.
We are thinking about hiking up through the forest up to the ridge between Jicarita and Truchas and hiking along the ridge a ways before camping. Then on to Chimayosos and N Truchas camping down at Truchas Lakes. The next day we ...
Read more : Early June in the Pecos | Views : 4395 | Replies : 8

Las Vegas area peaks, Sunday 4/18

I will be in Vegas and will have Sunday the 18th to hike some peaks in the area. Looks like, with some advice from SPr's, I will looking at White Rock Springs Pk, Turtlehead, Devil Peak, Shenandoah and Moapa Peak. I know that Moapa is the only challenging one of the bunch, but if anyone who knows the area would like to show me around, that would be great. Or any helpful advice apart from ...
Read more : Las Vegas area peaks, Sunday 4/18 | Views : 12912 | Replies : 57

Valley of Fire State Park Camping

Hey guys and gals,

I'm driving from Sacramento tomorrow through Las Vegas. I'm thinking it might be nice to spend a night camping at Valley of Fire State Park. Considering that we 1) probably won't arrive until 7; 2) it's a weekend and 3) it's near Las Vegas, is getting a campsite pretty much a hopeless idea?
Read more : Valley of Fire State Park Camping | Views : 1184 | Replies : 1

Need a Jumpstart - Trip Planning - AZ

In late April, my wife and I will be in Arizona for 4 to 5 days. We plan to hike and sightsee. The first couple days we need to be near to the Phoenix area. We will likely have the option to stay at a house in Mesa for the entire time, but are willing to stay elsewhere if it fits our plans better. Niether one of us has spent much time in AZ. I'm ...
Read more : Need a Jumpstart - Trip Planning - AZ | Views : 9709 | Replies : 47

For the intrepid Texan...

I was sifting through a bunch of my stuff from when I lived in Texas and found some old pics from Seminole Canyon and Devils River. I think both would be good additions to SP if y'all make the trip out there...
Read more : For the intrepid Texan... | Views : 800 | Replies : 0

quailty rock in Arizona?

Hopefully be there for work a week in April. Might have a spare day. Never been to that state (or any other of the States as it happens) and while I know there's lots of photogenic rock is there anything really good for climbing? Or is it all crumbly crap? What I've got in my imagination is a big classic trad route on a desert tower or in a canyon, say between 5.8 and low ...
Read more : quailty rock in Arizona? | Views : 3727 | Replies : 8

Recommendations near Las Vegas

Looking for Hike/Climb recommendations near Las Vegas. I am looking to kill a day in the countryside near vegas. I am not looking for anything super technical, just a nice moderate to difficult day hike. Any thoughts?
Read more : Recommendations near Las Vegas | Views : 6165 | Replies : 16

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557929 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136359