It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

UT or NM in Late March

I am looking to take a trip to NM or UT at the end of March or early April with my wife and dog. Looking for a mellow, fun desert experience. Weather permitting, we intend to camp. I anticipate it could get pretty cold at night.

We are looking for some combination of easy climbs, bike rides, bouldering opportunities, hikes where we might be able to see some ruins and/or rock art, maybe a nice ...
Read more : UT or NM in Late March | Views : 6436 | Replies : 16

Kings Peak Area Conditions/Traffic

Looking at heading out in a few weeks from Colorado - first experience in Utah We're planning on spending 8-days camped in the Henry's Fork area going after the 13ers around there. I've been told we need to plan on parking about 5 miles short of the TH - is that accurate? I've seen several TRs from winter, but how much traffic does the area actually see? (Are we breaking trail or is there a ...
Read more : Kings Peak Area Conditions/Traffic | Views : 1748 | Replies : 3

Favorite Red Rocks routes!

Prime season for Red Rocks!

Some of my all time favorite routes:

Running Man 5.11 A classic single pitch climb. Lots of sport climbs in the area, but this ain't one of 'em :wink:

Red Rocks climbing tip #1) Any route with the name Paul Van Betten, Sal Mumusia, or Mike Ward in the first ascent credits, will probably be a serious lead. These guys were some ...
Read more : Favorite Red Rocks routes! | Views : 6723 | Replies : 11

Gear Swaps?

Anyone know of any good website to buy/sell or swap mountaineering gear?

I know the BD Gear Swap is coming up March 20th, and that got me trying to find an on-line version.
Read more : Gear Swaps? | Views : 1017 | Replies : 2

Red Rock Scramble

Can anyone recommend a Class 3/easy Class 4 scramble in Red Rocks that I can do in 4 or 5 hours by myself?
Read more : Red Rock Scramble | Views : 6225 | Replies : 6

Arizona's Blue Range: Where to go?

What would be the top destinations in the Blue Range for a long hike or a back packing trip? Aside from Blue Peak, I am not to sure where to go. This seems like one of the more enigmatic parts of Arizona...
Read more : Arizona's Blue Range: Where to go? | Views : 1248 | Replies : 2

Attention fellow desert rats: I need some info...

Hey y'all, I'm looking for some suggestions. Moab's been too cold this winter, so I'm heading south for a few weeks to do some backpacking.

If anyone has ideas on hikes/summits in this general area, that would be cool: Yuma, AZ; Blythe, CA; basically anywhere between I-40 and I-8.

I've done the whole Kofa thing. I like that there's not much info about these ranges (solitude!), but I figured there could be some hardcore desert ...
Read more : Attention fellow desert rats: I need some info... | Views : 1573 | Replies : 7

BC Ski Tours near Santa Fe?

We will be in Santa Fe next weekend and would like to do a 4-6 hour ski tour in the Sangres outside Santa Fe. Any good ideas? Looking for a good tour with some nice tree lines...
Read more : BC Ski Tours near Santa Fe? | Views : 1400 | Replies : 2

June 5 day backpack ideas

Would like to do a 5 day hike, 2 dads with two 13yo. The boys have been backpacking since age 8 and we are all going this weekend to Mt Rogers (forecast highs 20's, lows 10's, wind and snow). Would like to do something in mid June that is not impassable by snow, bone dry or overrun with bugs or heat. I'm aware conditions always change year to year.

We had thought about River no ...
Read more : June 5 day backpack ideas | Views : 1632 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136365