It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Mount Hopkins (Near Tucson) - Whipple Observatory

Hello Arizonans,

I am getting quite mixed :? results when trying to determine whether or not I'm able to hike to the summit of Mount Hopkins near Tucson.

Details range from:

What's the big deal? Just follow the many trails to the summit and scoot around and enjoy the observatory structures, etc.

to

No! You can't go to the summit without registering for the guided Whipple Obseratory ...
Read more : Mount Hopkins (Near Tucson) - Whipple Observatory | Views : 3379 | Replies : 7

perched synclines

Read more : perched synclines | Views : 732 | Replies : 1

Non-Stop Rain for Southwest

I dont know how many of you are living in the Las Vegas area, but it has been getting nailed with rain. I was curious what you guys thought Mt. Charleston is looking like right now? Is it possible they are getting snow up there during all these storms? I really wanna get out and do some skiing when all this weather finally gets outta here.
Read more : Non-Stop Rain for Southwest | Views : 1281 | Replies : 5

Best Backpacking in New Mexico?

I spent four years going to school in Dallas and I took every opportunity I could to go to New Mexico (or further, if possible). I made many trips into the backcountry. My personal favorite was the West Fork of the Gila River, in the Gila Wilderness. What are some of y'alls favorite trips/destinations in New Mexico?
Read more : Best Backpacking in New Mexico? | Views : 44200 | Replies : 15

Ice on Charleston?!?

so I picked this up from reading the Charleston Peak page. anybody got any beta on the current ice condition mentioned below or know a site that has some info?

Charleston Peak offers ice climbing in the WI2 to WI5+ range. Areas include: Lost Falls (WI 2), Echo Falls (WI 3), Vegas Hose Monster (WI 5+), Little Falls (WI 2+), Avalanche Falls (WI 4), and Mary Jane Falls (WI 4)
Read more : Ice on Charleston?!? | Views : 1620 | Replies : 1

Red Rocks

David and I will spend the next ten days at Red Rocks, starting tomorrow.....because he is such a cheap date, we will be belly up to the bar at Agave, 10820 Charleston Blvd, for .25c tacos and $1 beers most nights. If Radek or others in town, stop on by! Cheers
Read more : Red Rocks | Views : 1771 | Replies : 3

Charleston conditions in mid-January

Does anyone know how Charleston is looking these days?

is there a Web site that posts daily reports?

A Web cam?

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Charleston conditions in mid-January | Views : 2975 | Replies : 3

The Rainbow Wall, Regular Route

Can anyone speak to the present condition of this route? It was originally graded V 5.9 A4 per the Urioste guide and subsequently downgraded to A2 because multiple bolts were added for a "free" ascent. These bolts were chopped in the late 90's roughly coincident with the publication of Swain book AKA "the dilettante's guide to the Red Rocks." Anyway, if anyone has done this recently I'd like to know your impressions.
Read more : The Rainbow Wall, Regular Route | Views : 1013 | Replies : 1

Backcountry Skiing from Las Vegas, NV

Hey, Im a student at UNLV and I have been telemarking in Idaho for quite awhile. I was hoping to take my telemark setup back down to Vegas and go on some backcountry skiing trips and possibly overnight camping trips.

Does anyone have any advice on some good areas to head from Vegas besides the Mt. Charleston area? Some suggestions on where to go in the Death Valley National Park?

Thanks!
Read more : Backcountry Skiing from Las Vegas, NV | Views : 11591 | Replies : 14

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367