It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Lightning strike death on Humphreys Peak, Arizona

A sad and unfortunate death atop Arizona's highest peak.

I have been caught myself in fast-developing storms that can go from blue skies to black clouds in about 15 minutes... including one such storm last year on Humphreys. Those storms develop so fast, and there can be literally no time to retreat. It's almost a case that even if you see a cloud above the peaks past 11 a.m. during July and August, turn around. ...
Read more : Lightning strike death on Humphreys Peak, Arizona | Views : 5452 | Replies : 0

Road conditions Boundary Peak (NV)

I was thinking to do Boundary Peak via Trail Canyon this summer but heard that a few years ago the road got washed out badly. Does anybody have a more recent report, maybe from this or last year? I was there in 2007 and we were able to drive almost all the way to the trailhead in a small 2wd Toyota sedan but apparently things have changed since then. Any beta would be appreciated!
Read more : Road conditions Boundary Peak (NV) | Views : 6280 | Replies : 3

Wheeler (NM) Next Week - Conditions?

I will be in the Santa Fe area next week and am wondering what the conditions are - will snowshoes be needed? Any other recommendations around Taos or Santa Fe would be great too. I am more of a hiker and light scrambler.
Read more : Wheeler (NM) Next Week - Conditions? | Views : 8663 | Replies : 9

Looking for new climbing partners

Trying to get into shape to climb Whitney's east face. My climbing partner moved and I don't get to climb much anymore. I was leading 5.9-5.10 prior to my partner moving. I live about 5 mins away from Camelback.
Read more : Looking for new climbing partners | Views : 4693 | Replies : 0

Current Conditions on Boundary Peak

I'll be in Vegas early next month. I called off the idea of mountain climbing originally but now i may have a little more time than thought. What does Boundary Peak look like at moment is there a lot of snow? If I were to climb on June 13th what should I expect ice ax/crampons or just old fashioned hiking? Has anyone been here recently? thanks
Read more : Current Conditions on Boundary Peak | Views : 7320 | Replies : 7

Trip delayed

I was supposed to hike Guadeloupe Peak and El Capitain this week. Unfortunately I strained the muscles in my back yesterday. Now I have put it off until this fall. Really sucks. I'm gonna have to stop my hiking for a while.
Read more : Trip delayed | Views : 6171 | Replies : 4

Placer Mountain, New Mexico - access?

For years, access to Placer Mountain (between Albuquerque and Santa Fe) was coordinated through the Santa Fe Botanical Garden. However, as of 2015, they have stopped leading hikes to that summit. My understanding was that this was the only legal way to that peak.

Apparently, Santa Fe County is supposed to have a plan to allow public access to the peak, now that the county owns some of the land, but also, some of the ...
Read more : Placer Mountain, New Mexico - access? | Views : 4962 | Replies : 0

Narrows in Zion- permits etc

Please post a link if this question was asked before
I am going there in late May, want to do the entire Narrows one way and camp out one night. Are permits required to camp? are they hard to get? It seems like a very popular thing to do.

Also are there services to shuttle you to one end?

thanks!
Read more : Narrows in Zion- permits etc | Views : 4880 | Replies : 1

Found Hiking Pole on Apache Peaks

I found a hiking pole on my climb of Apache Peaks (near Globe, AZ) last Saturday (4-2-16). If you lost one there send me message.
Read more : Found Hiking Pole on Apache Peaks | Views : 5685 | Replies : 2

Taos hiking in March - where to go?

Hi, I am looking to hike around the Taos area in the beginning of March and want to know what the conditions will be like. Will there be too much snow for a hike up to wheeler peak without snow shoes? Looking for a 3-5 hour hike, relatively strenuous. Any help would be much appreciated.
Read more : Taos hiking in March - where to go? | Views : 7430 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293