It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

East Texas Alpine Mountaineering

I'm sure there is none in east TX, but what would be the closest?
Read more : East Texas Alpine Mountaineering | Views : 7089 | Replies : 4

Something to do near Vegas, late May

I've been invited to a friend's wedding in Vegas on the last weekend of May. It's an expensive/long trip out there from the UK so I'm looking for something to tack on to make the most of it. But none of the friends I'll be with in Vegas are climbers so I'm riding solo.

If anyone has any ideas of good solo objectives, guided trips worth doing, gatherings, events etc, suitable for a moderate trad ...
Read more : Something to do near Vegas, late May | Views : 6202 | Replies : 4

Heading west in April to visit Havasupai, 4 free days to cli Heading west in April to visit Havasupai, 4 free days to cli

Hey guys, I've searched high and low for tips on good mountains to climb in April. I have snow shoes and a sled but the rest of my party will not be geared up for a snow climb. I'm looking for a good desert mountain to climb near northwest Arizona. (Within 3 or 4 hours). Difficulty should not be a huge issue, if it's too difficult I can leave my group at the base and ...
Read more : Heading west in April to visit Havasupai, 4 free days to cli | Views : 6779 | Replies : 5

Four Peaks - lone pine trail head

First off, yes I recognize I'm talking about the of Feburary 2016 so there is ice and snow

I'm looking to attempt Browns Peak last week of February, I will have 4x4 with modest ground clearance, smaller SUV. Which route do I stand the best chance of making it to the trailhead for Browns Peak Tr 133, Over four peaks to lone pigeon or across EL Oso? I will be coming from Apache Junction?

I ...
Read more : Four Peaks - lone pine trail head | Views : 6531 | Replies : 3

more challenging routes

I'm looking for something a little more challenging for Guadeloupe Peak. Something that may take a few days and be quite technical.
Read more : more challenging routes | Views : 4724 | Replies : 0

Tucson Area Peak Bagging

I'm going to be in the Tucson area in the beginning of March. Is there local guidebook that covers some peaks in the area?

I'll be there for 5 days, so suggested peaks are welcome too. I'll have like 1/2 days to be able to hike, so looking for 4-5 hour hikes within an hour or so of town.

So far it looks like Safford/Panther, Golden Gate, Wasson, and Keystone may be good choices.
Read more : Tucson Area Peak Bagging | Views : 5723 | Replies : 6

An odd request for anyone climbing Wheeler's Peak soon. An odd request for anyone climbing Wheeler's Peak soon.

Hey guys, I was referred to this forum from reddit.com/r/mountaineering. I know this is a long shot and I know it may sound ridiculous but I have been visiting the Taos/Angelfire area for the past few days and today, being my last day before heading back to Austin, climbed Wheeler's Peak. It was my first time doing any sort of major hiking and felt incredibly accomplished getting to write in the registry at the top. ...
Read more : An odd request for anyone climbing Wheeler's Peak soon. | Views : 4483 | Replies : 1

How dumb is my Grand Canyon R2R plan?

Planning to do it in mid-June. The timing isn’t optimal, but it’s the only opportunity I’ll have in the foreseeable future.

* Day 1 — shuttle to North Rim, stay in campground, food at nearby store, use old gear that can be thrown away/given away afterward

* Day 2 — start down the North Kaibab Trail at 3 a.m.
ETA at Roaring Springs (4.7 miles in): 5 a.m. (took less than two hours the last ...
Read more : How dumb is my Grand Canyon R2R plan? | Views : 5276 | Replies : 4

Grand Canyon North Rim Lodging

My April hike is in the books -- a great day hike up to the summit of Cloud's Rest and back in Yosemite. I began planning a May hike on the flight home and I had the idea that it might be fun to flip the mountain over for a change and do a rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon in May. As usual, I am late to the party, as it appears that May ...
Read more : Grand Canyon North Rim Lodging | Views : 5268 | Replies : 4

Arc Dome June 6

I am hiking Arc Dome 11,788' in central Nevada on June 6. We have a group of folks meeting up with various fitness levels. I intend to hike a little faster than them, and leave earlier in the morning. Does anyone in the Reno-Tahoe-Sacramento-Bay area want to carpool who has a 4WD who wants to do the hike slightly faster? We'd camp at the trailhead Friday June 5. Drive time is ~3.5-4 hours from Reno. ...
Read more : Arc Dome June 6 | Views : 4239 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136368