It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

April high elevation summits? April high elevation summits?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a peak to day hike the third week in April (2015). It's a tough time of year to find high altitude accessible peaks that aren't unreachable due to snow. I had good luck in April 2013 climbing Telescope Peak in Death Valley -- the roads were open and the peak had some snow, but nothing that stopped me from getting to the top and doing it as a day hike. My ...
Read more : April high elevation summits? | Views : 12791 | Replies : 15

Black Velvet Wall, Sour Mash 5.10a, 800ft, Red Rocks Nevada

Infamous Black Velvet Wall, Sour Mash route rated 5.10a with 7 pitches (3 of which are 5.10a). Mostly vertical 800ft classic route! Climbed in late October of 2014 with partner Marc Ripperger. Wall is mostly in the shade during the day and gets cold and windy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-znkap_ ... detailpage
Read more : Black Velvet Wall, Sour Mash 5.10a, 800ft, Red Rocks Nevada | Views : 4264 | Replies : 0

Weather Conditions Great Basin 2nd Week March

Hello,

I am looking to plan a backpacking trip through Great Basin National Park from March 16th-19th. As a good backpacker, I am looking to prepare for any adverse weather conditions.

Does anyone have any experience with Backpacking through here during that time? We will reach Elevations as high as 11,000 feet. Possibly storms? Snow? Temperatures?

Any input is appreciated

Thank you!
Max
Read more : Weather Conditions Great Basin 2nd Week March | Views : 4408 | Replies : 1

Stolen Gear - Fisher Towers

Dear Summit Post users(particularly those climbing in the Fishers and/or Mystery Towers),

Sometime between Labor Day weekend, 2014, and January 16, 2015 a large stash of climbing and camping gear was stolen from what (we thought) was a well hidden location in the area between the Titan and the Mystery Towers. This was not near any of the known bivy spots in this area. The gear included a full desert iron aid rack, a double ...
Read more : Stolen Gear - Fisher Towers | Views : 5691 | Replies : 6

Guadalupe Mountains / Big Bend NPs

Hi,

I have an opportunity to come to Texas as part of a business trip in either late March or late April. I'm hoping this is a good time to visit the NPs in the west of the state. A few questions:
- Will I have any trouble getting camping spots or will it be quite enough as I know many are just walk in? Is it worth ca
- Is it worth backcountry camping ...
Read more : Guadalupe Mountains / Big Bend NPs | Views : 9743 | Replies : 12

Gear required for winter Humphreys summit

Planning to climb Humphreys in mid-Feburary. Obviously that's a ways out, but in a typical snow year what gear do I need in Feb? I've heard crampons aren't necessary -- which leads me to believe an ice axe isn't either. And is a ski descent worthwhile? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Holmes
Read more : Gear required for winter Humphreys summit | Views : 4912 | Replies : 2

FINALLY moving back to the Mountains! New Mexico

This isn't exactly a climbing post, but I hope you all will understand... I'm just beyond happy to say that I'm finally leaving the midwest and moving back to the mountains! My wife and I are moving to Albuquerque this summer and I plan to make up for 20 years of lost time, climbing anything and everything I can, every single chance I get.

I'm definitely looking to meet up with fellow alpine climbers and ...
Read more : FINALLY moving back to the Mountains! New Mexico | Views : 4875 | Replies : 3

Terminal Cancer chute, Ruby Mountains NV

Anyone seen it recently? How is the snowpack building up in the area? Will be there in mid-January so I know a ton can change in that amount of time, I was just curious as to how that area is filling in right now. I am not dead set on skiing it no matter what, but if the avy conditions are safe and it's filled in I just wanted to know if there was enough ...
Read more : Terminal Cancer chute, Ruby Mountains NV | Views : 5125 | Replies : 1

pedernales, enchanted rock, ??

I always take my son to the wichita wildlife refuge and am looking for somewhere new. Needs some tough climbs (hes only 4 so not death defying), good scenary, etc. I looked at pedernales but may be a lil cold as it looks like u need to get wet to do a lot of it. Enchanted rock looks cool but for a whole weekend im not sure and I think hes tough young to do ...
Read more : pedernales, enchanted rock, ?? | Views : 5098 | Replies : 3

Wheeler Peak Conditions - Thanksgiving Summit Attempt. 2014

Hello,
I'll be driving up from Austin Tx for a summit attempt on Wheeler Peak. So far it looks likes the weather will be favorable and I'm wondering what the conditions of Bull in the Woods trail are, as well as any other information about the condition of the routes up to the mountain.

Thank you!
Read more : Wheeler Peak Conditions - Thanksgiving Summit Attempt. 2014 | Views : 4397 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557889 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136293