It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Off Topic Can't post issue

Hello! I have been trying to post for quite some time now but every time I am redirected to my profile. I have tried logging in and out multiple times, yet this is the only place I can post it seems. If any moderators could help, that would be great. Thanks and sorry for off-topic post here lol
Read more : Off Topic Can't post issue | Views : 2731 | Replies : 2

GOUT & Mountaineering

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone has had Gout and continued with mountaineering & alpine Ice/Climbing. I was diagnosed with Gout almost 4 weeks ago and could barely walk. I am now up to walking 3 miles in good shoes with minimal pain (granted no, 40 + pound pack at altitude). Next week will be my first hike with a small pack again.

I have a day climb with 4-5,000 feet elevation gain ...
Read more : GOUT & Mountaineering | Views : 2954 | Replies : 3

Mt. Katahdin Training Mt. Katahdin Training

Hello, I am looking for advice for training for the 16mi pulk into Mt. Katahdin's chimney pond campground. As there is limited snow in the northeast of late I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for no snow training. The 16mi pulk in is new territory for me whereas the skiing/mountaineering part is not. I do not have access to a gym due to covid and I live in a fairly flat ...
Read more : Mt. Katahdin Training | Views : 5114 | Replies : 3

Quitting Smoking and Improving Health

Guys, I have taken a sabbatical from Electronics & Programming and want to get fit for mountaineering. My problem is I've been a smoker for 20 years. I use to cycle a lot and intend to get back into both cycling and mountaineering. My question is, can I recover enough of my lung function to enable me to achieve my goals?

Thanks Peeps, love from Ireland!
Read more : Quitting Smoking and Improving Health | Views : 3722 | Replies : 4

ultra-light for (Sierra) high backcountry

I am creating this thread because I believe Sierra adventurers of all types have distinctly different needs from those of AT and other thru-hikers who have embraced Ultra-light (UL) gear and techniques.

Vloggers that I have seen such as Dixie "Homemade Wanderlust" and Darwin "Darwin on the Trail"
have lots of info, some of it quite good about UL gear, techniques, hints and hacks.

However...Not all of this makes sense for the sierra backpacker, or ...
Read more : ultra-light for (Sierra) high backcountry | Views : 12738 | Replies : 11

Climbing with Osteoporosis

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis - likely because of genetics. Both my mother and her mother had it. Even though my scan shows osteoporosis, I have had no height loss nor suffered broken bones and I would like it to stay that way. I do a lot of weight bearing exercises and my doctor encourages me to continue to do all the hiking, climbing, skiing, etc. that I have been doing, because she thinks ...
Read more : Climbing with Osteoporosis | Views : 9488 | Replies : 5

Grip strength, forearms exercises AT HOME. Advice needed

Hi everyone,
Just give me your thoughts on how to train forearms, wrists, grip strength at home? I'm about to move to another country, so will not be able to train at the center. So I have to know how to deal with this. How do you maintain your muscles? Should I buy a hangboard or something?
Read more : Grip strength, forearms exercises AT HOME. Advice needed | Views : 10990 | Replies : 11

Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for? Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for?

Do any of you own and use a treadmill? I'm wondering if it might improve motivation if I don't have to run outside in the cold and dark.
What should you look out for and what is a good budget for a reasonably good and reliable treadmill?
Also, are they really noisy? Would I be able to put the TV on and watch it whilst using a treadmill without waking the whole street up?
Read more : Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for? | Views : 4100 | Replies : 3

Ascending Fixed Lines With Micro Traxion

Planning to climb Denali next June and was looking at buying an ascender for climbing the fixed lines on the headwall but then the thought occurred to me that I'll already be carrying my micro traxion for crevasse rescued and it's lighter than an ascender and multi-purpose.

Is there any reason not to just use the micro traxion with a large carabineer (petzl william) for ascender? Tried it for kicks last night with my alti ...
Read more : Ascending Fixed Lines With Micro Traxion | Views : 11754 | Replies : 4

Crampons for hiking boots.

When is it appropriate (is it ever?) to use crampons for hiking boots/approach shoes. Is it ever okay to do this in lieu of technical mountaineering boots? I'm trying to get started on a budget and have seen some summits that require glacial travel but are often done unroped, so it makes it seem like doing so without technical boots would be possible.
Read more : Crampons for hiking boots. | Views : 12529 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291