It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:44 am

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Plastic boot hot spots and other questions

Rented boots for Rainier climb. They ended up being a brand new pair. Pulled the packing out myself.
2 hours into climb, developed pretty intense hotspot on medial aspect of my heel.
Duct tape and other remedies, but left wondering why it happened so quickly.

During fitting I went from my size(13) to 13 1/2 at the advice of guide.
Heel slipped up and down, but I thought that was probably expected due to the ...
Read more : Plastic boot hot spots and other questions | Views : 10895 | Replies : 15

Wilderness Med @ Big Sky, MT

Was just curious if anybody on here is attending the Wilderness Medicine Conference in Big Sky, MT at the end of July?
Read more : Wilderness Med @ Big Sky, MT | Views : 2894 | Replies : 1

Tendon damage/sprain on outside of foot

Messed up my right foot 2 weeks ago in an accident on the stairs.....ok, I jumped down 10 stairs to get under my little girl who was falling down them. Anyway, I was barefoot and landed funny and had a lot of internal bleeding into my 4 smaller toes. All of the blood has gone away and I can still bike, incline treadmill, stairmaster, lift, etc with very little discomfort. But if I'm walking, and ...
Read more : Tendon damage/sprain on outside of foot | Views : 5376 | Replies : 2

Climbing after total knee replacement

Has anyone had a total knee replacement (TKR) and been able to resume climbing mountains? I may have it done in the next couple years. I don't need to climb anything real technical, but I would like to conquer Mt. Rainier. I've tried twice now and haven't made it yet. I feel the third time is a charm and now I know exactly how I will train to make it to the top. I've tried ...
Read more : Climbing after total knee replacement | Views : 17544 | Replies : 8

Training for first climb need help

Never climbed. Never carried a heavy pack. Very fit. Strong upper body. however, I am Currently a couple of weeks into training for a guided climb of Rainier in July and having trouble adjusting to a weighted pack.
I picked up a used Cilo 65 liter pack and have loaded it down with all my gear and some additional weight in the form of water bottles. Total weight around 40lbs..
I have played with weight ...
Read more : Training for first climb need help | Views : 14055 | Replies : 18

Emergency harness with "bigger" folk

I normally carry a 12' piece of webbing that I can tie into a Swiss seat (lower part) in an emergency. I have a 31" waist, and my waist is smaller than my hips, so this length of 15mm webbing works nicely. When there are bigger people, I normally just tie a 3-point diaper sling, with 7-9' from the same piece of webbing, as here:
http://cdn-www.trails.com/imagecache/ar ... 95x195.png

...and ...
Read more : Emergency harness with "bigger" folk | Views : 7118 | Replies : 4

Trad mistakes by gym/sport climbers

Please, for the love of God, sport and gym climbers please STOP using dogbone quickdraws to clip into trad gear. This can cause substantially greater "walking" of gear and pull out, or at least weaken, a decent placement. Use a longer, more flexible runner. I keep seeing this more and more as climbing gyms have opened up the sport to greater numbers of people. I just want everyone to have as much fun, as safely ...
Read more : Trad mistakes by gym/sport climbers | Views : 43671 | Replies : 49

Weight loss

At it's most basic, losing weight is about burning more calories than you eat.
Here are some more weight loss tips...
1. stop taking sugar in all form
2. stop eating rice, you can eat but only if they are washed 3-4 time during cooking , wash out all its sugar or starch.
3.stop taking fats or oils in all form, but you can cook food in olive oil.
4.skip dinner most of the time ...
Read more : Weight loss | Views : 40211 | Replies : 62

Aitken - Langmuir corrections to Naismith's rule

Naismith's (1892) rule:
Hiking time = Allow 1 hour for every 3 miles (5 km) forward, plus 1 hour for every 2000 feet (600 metres) of ascent.

Aitken (1977) - Langmuir (1984) corrections for descent slopes:
Aitken: 5 km/h can be maintained on paths tracks and roads, while this is reduced to 4 km/h on all other grounds.
Langmuir: minus 10 minutes per 300 m descent for slopes between 5 and 12 degrees; plus 10 ...
Read more : Aitken - Langmuir corrections to Naismith's rule | Views : 5763 | Replies : 0

Knee Pain

I'm sure there are tons of different types of knee pains. The one I have started with my knee giving out about a year ago. Now it's generally fine, and nearly only hurts when I climb stairs (or Mount Katahdin, which is where I think I injured it).

The pain is on the outside of my right knee, slightly toward the front.

I started running again and after a couple weeks the pain subsided a ...
Read more : Knee Pain | Views : 6590 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369