It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 am

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Over-running

Not really a question directly related to mountaineering but thought I’d fire away as a bunch of you seem to have some good insights regarding exercise.

I’m a bit of a fitness freak so like to do a fair bit of exercise, pretty much mainly cardio (running, riding, kayaking). In the past I considered myself an endurance person having done the usual longer stuff (marathons/half ironmans/ultra trailruns, adventure races etc).

Recently I find myself running ...
Read more : Over-running | Views : 8656 | Replies : 10

2 jumars with grigri backup?

I have found lots of info on jugging with two ascenders and jugging with one ascender and one grigri. However, I can't seem to find any video demos or illustrations on how to use two ascenders/jumars with a grigri backup. It is just simply mentioned in some articles with little detail. This is the system I am more interested in using and I'd like some further info on the setup.

Links and/or explanations appreciated ...
Read more : 2 jumars with grigri backup? | Views : 21967 | Replies : 20

Top 100 Hardest Body Weight Exercises Of All Time

FYI:
An interesting list of body weight exercises that one can do for training with minimal equipment. Base camp boredom anyone?
Top 100 Hardest Body Weight Exercises Of All Time & How You Can Master Each Of Them
http://ashotofadrenaline.net/hardest-bo ... -all-time/

#1-3 for the bouldering Zen masters?
Enjoy! :)
Read more : Top 100 Hardest Body Weight Exercises Of All Time | Views : 7700 | Replies : 0

Patagonia Books-Training for the New Alpinism

Anyone check this book out yet? Just got it last week and barely dove in yet but looks like a great resource. Reading Steve House's 1 year log of accomplishments just a year after starting this program alone is enticing enough to learn more.
Read more : Patagonia Books-Training for the New Alpinism | Views : 4395 | Replies : 1

Zugspitze Ultratrail

Any other SPers running Zugspitze Ultratrail in Garmisch this June? See you there!
Read more : Zugspitze Ultratrail | Views : 3215 | Replies : 0

Training for walking downhill in gym

After a couple of months of training in the gym by speed walking on inclined treadmill and stairmill with load, I am quite happy with the results: just did Cactus to Clouds trail (23 miles with over 11,000 feet of elevation gain) last week with 40 lbs of load and decent pace, I felt quite comfortable during and after the hike, no muscle soreness whatever. This hike was almost all ascending, just about 5 mile ...
Read more : Training for walking downhill in gym | Views : 55075 | Replies : 28

mythbusters

http://www.geir.com/mythbuster.html

I'm sure this has been posted before. It makes entertaining reading.
Read more : mythbusters | Views : 5516 | Replies : 3

Re: Securing and abseiling a bergschrund

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but it seems like you are asking how to build a rappel anchor in snow or ice.

In good ice I build a v-thread anchor. (Google Abalakov V thread for an explanation). If it is hard snow, then I chop a bollard. In soft snow, then I use a fluke or dead man a picket.
Read more : Re: Securing and abseiling a bergschrund | Views : 9672 | Replies : 11

Fitness

Hey lads,

new here, long time browser, first time poster!

Figured here would be a good spot to post.

Myself and a few mates are climbing Kilimanjaro and Elbrus back to back at the end of July/beginning of August. I'm looking for a bit of advice for training, not just for it but in general. I've been climbing on and off the last four years, mostly in the Alps and Scotland on holidays (for the ...
Read more : Fitness | Views : 31693 | Replies : 27

Any feedback on the new Steve House Training Book?

Thinking of buying it, but would like to hear from those who have it. Thank you.
Read more : Any feedback on the new Steve House Training Book? | Views : 24028 | Replies : 22

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557944 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136387