It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure

While doing some trip planning I found that State Route 95 between Blanding and Natural Bridges National Monument was closed at the bridge over Cottonwood Wash (mile Marker 115.5). Local Traffic on either side of the bridge is OK - but no through traffic. Route 95 is the key paved east west route in the Cedar Mesa area. Large scale flood waters damaged the bridge and it needs emergency repairs. My source is https://udottraffic.utah.gov/. Anyone ...
Read more : Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure | Views : 6138 | Replies : 1

Capitol Reef NP Pilot Climbing and Canyoneering Permit

Date: December 16, 2019
Capitol Reef National Park will begin a pilot mandatory Canyoneering Permit System starting January 1, 2020. Permits will be free of charge and require self-registration located at the Capitol Reef National Park Visitor Center or online on the park website. These permits will be required for all canyoneering and climbing activities within the park.

Capitol Reef National Park staff have observed a substantial increase in canyoneering and ...
Read more : Capitol Reef NP Pilot Climbing and Canyoneering Permit | Views : 1877 | Replies : 0

Henry Mountains, Utah; South end, near Starr Springs Henry Mountains, Utah; South end, near Starr Springs

Can anyone provide me with info on this area? It has many large spires of sorted stone. It's a 10 minute drive from Starr Springs Campground in the Henry Mountains of Utah.
Read more : Henry Mountains, Utah; South end, near Starr Springs | Views : 4017 | Replies : 3

Amount of water in Ding & Dang Canyons

Has anyone been here lately? Am wondering if these are passable right now. We went there one other time and the people coming out said there was chest deep water. I'm too wimpy for that.
Read more : Amount of water in Ding & Dang Canyons | Views : 3456 | Replies : 0

Trans-Zion Trek, early December

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Zion from about December 2 - December 7, and am planning to try for the west-to-east traverse. I'm fairly experienced in cold weather hiking and camping, and have reasonably good gear.

What can I expect?

It seems like there'll be a pretty good chance of snow on high. How about ice, and the general difficulty of travel?
I'd probably be aiming to use just microspikes and poles --- would that ...
Read more : Trans-Zion Trek, early December | Views : 5519 | Replies : 5

Granite Peak Accessible? Granite Peak Accessible?

I may well be overreacting, but yesterday I happened to notice someone had logged an ascent of Granite Peak in the Dugway Range on Peakbagger, the first ascent logged on any climbing site I know of. Coincidentally, I noticed that the gray shading indicating military land on Google Maps that had previously covered Granite Peak was considerably smaller. Does this mean that Granite Peak is open for business? If anyone has any information please speak ...
Read more : Granite Peak Accessible? | Views : 3763 | Replies : 2

Route Help: Coyote Gulch as a day hike, Crack to Hurricane Route Help: Coyote Gulch as a day hike, Crack to Hurricane

Hello,

My brother and I are planning a week in Escalante-Grand Staircase in early May. Coyote Gulch has me a little concerned. We're wanting to do it as a day hike without ascending or descending the arch--but also want to see the section from Jacob Hamblin Arch to the Escalante. We're thinking about entering at Crack in the Wall and exiting Hurricane Wash. We'd leave a car at the Hurricane Wash trailhead and hire a ...
Read more : Route Help: Coyote Gulch as a day hike, Crack to Hurricane | Views : 12642 | Replies : 10

Hiker rescue at Kings Peak

Not a lot of detail but sounds like incredibly poor judgement by the injured party.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/10/20/u ... he-uintas/
Read more : Hiker rescue at Kings Peak | Views : 3514 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557888 • Total topics 55833 • Total members 136291