It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Indian Creek Favorites

Scarface, Generic crack, Elephant man, and tons on Pistol Whipper wall......& more......

What are your favorites?
Read more : Indian Creek Favorites | Views : 1628 | Replies : 2

Easy slot canyons in Zion area for this Thanksgivings?

Hello,

My wife and me (we are from Boston) will spend 4 full days in Zion area - hiking/backpaking. I've heard about slot canyons and would like to explore one of those wonders of the world. I don't want to do any that may require wet suits but we should be OK with some easy semi-technical terrain and basic rope work. Ideally something just a little bit technical and mostly dry that would still need ...
Read more : Easy slot canyons in Zion area for this Thanksgivings? | Views : 3366 | Replies : 3

Snow in SE Utah

I was thinking of canyoneering in Robbers Roost area this weekend. The weather sites say no precip for Hanksville in the last month. I have received secondhand reports of lots of snow there.
I called a restaurant in Hanksville, the guy said they got nothing. I realize Hanksville isn't exactly Robbers Roost but its close.

Poison Spider in Moab said they received 1" and its long gone.

could they actually have gotten more at Robbers ...
Read more : Snow in SE Utah | Views : 2284 | Replies : 4

FIfth Water Hot Springs

What is the deal with parking for going to Fifth Water these days? I remember hearing a year or two back about parking problems and some people being towed by the forest service.

My brother and I are hoping to go visit Fifth Water sometime soon. Can anyone comment about the availability of parking, etc?

Thanks.
Read more : FIfth Water Hot Springs | Views : 2175 | Replies : 1

zion march-april

I am planning on spending my spring break in zion this year with my girl friend, and am curious what conditions will be like last week of march first week of april.

I am interested in...

-hikes up to about ten miles

-canyons (we have wet suits, but not dry suits I think it might be a lttile cold still)
preferably not to technical, but a few raps would be ok.

-backpacking I am open ...
Read more : zion march-april | Views : 11515 | Replies : 26

ridgeline between Emigration and Red Butte canyons near SLC

I'm interested in running the length of this ridge, either as an out-and-back from one end, or with a bike shuttle. Yesterday I ran the one between Emigration and Parleys, and I had a blast overall, but the bushwhacking near Perkins Peak made running impossible and wasn't super comfortable in running shorts. Looking at the Emigration/Red Butte one on Google Earth, it appears to be a very developed trail for the western half, but hard ...
Read more : ridgeline between Emigration and Red Butte canyons near SLC | Views : 2835 | Replies : 1

Utah in January

Hey everyone,
I am going to be in the area of Utah for a couple weeks in January. As i have never been there, i was wondering what the climbing situation is like over there during the winter months. Are there any cant miss spots that i should look into? This goes for both ice and rock. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Read more : Utah in January | Views : 3308 | Replies : 7

Buckinskin Gulch around Dec end

I would like to day-hike the Buckskin Gulch around Dec 25th. I checked the temperature and precipitation here-
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/ ... imate.html

The precipitation and chances of flash floods are NOT the best in the year, but just alright. But it is the coldest time in the year in the gulch.

So is it possible to do the gulch this time of the year ? The number of visitors is ...
Read more : Buckinskin Gulch around Dec end | Views : 2047 | Replies : 3

Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Fall 2009

I was able to hike around a bit last week and get some views of the colors and early snow. Fall is in the air! As far as climbing ideas, Alec posted some cool ideas a week back in the summer thread:

E Face of Robert's Horn
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/utah/w ... /106088450
As soon as there's ice up there and before there's too much snow

The Rookie Party up by Snowbird ...
Read more : Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Fall 2009 | Views : 10803 | Replies : 40

Weather/Climbing Conditions in So. Utah for late November

Thanksgiving.. you get a nice 4 day weekend but it seems like a tricky time of year to plan a climbing vacation.

I've been looking at Moab, Canyonlands and Southern Utah as my destination, but I'm not sure if the weather allows climbing this late into the rock season and/or early in the ice season? I'm not familiar with the climate down there being from New England.

I'm looking for suggestions for a long weekend ...
Read more : Weather/Climbing Conditions in So. Utah for late November | Views : 6209 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557933 • Total topics 55834 • Total members 136367