Next steps for a beginner?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Trevers89

Next steps for a beginner?

by Trevers89 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 am

My experience so far:
- Spent my summer long distance hiking through the Alps between Munich and Venice. Lots of mountain walking, and lots of elevation gain without reaching any particularly high peaks. Some easy scrambling and via ferrata, and we had to turn back from a few tougher routes which we were unprepared and ill-equipped for (important lessons learnt there!)
- Recently went to Snowdonia. Did the North Ridge on Tryfan (seriously if this is a grade I scramble I dread to think what grade III is) and the Crib Goch ridge to Snowdon in very windy and misty conditions. None of this was roped
- I've very recently started indoor climbing which I'm really enjoying, so I've been introduced to belaying

Long story short, I've fallen in love with the mountains, and want to gain the skills and experience to tackle some of the high Alps (although I don't expect to be doing any North Face's next year!) I'm confused as to what direction I should take next... take a course, indoor ice climbing, or just grab the gear and head out to Scotland (with some regard for personal safety of course). Money is a limiting factor for me right now. Thrusting myself into it has worked well so far but I can tell will get more and more risky. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

For the record, I'm 22, reasonably fit and healthy and live in London

ExcitableBoy

Re: Next steps for a beginner?

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:15 am

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Hotoven, Trevers89

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 am

Yes read this page! ExcitableBoy and I designed this page for questions similar to your own. This hobby take a lot of time, hard work and money, but the rewards are priceless.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

The following user would like to thank Hotoven for this post
Trevers89

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks! I'm under no pretences about this being easy or safe, or something I can learn in a day, but I'm hugely excited about where this will take me!

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm pretty certain we went as due south as we could, I know most people get rescued off the east or west flanks and I can see how inexperienced touristy types get into trouble. We hit the Cannon and got to the main summit from the lower north summit so I'm pretty sure we went straight, but we were doing vertical sections for up to 5 meters. I didn't have any such problems getting up to the Crib Goch ridge.

In terms of goals, it's hard to judge in the short term since I don't really know how difficult what I've done so far is relatively speaking (I don't really understand the grade system). I have the burning desire to climb Triglav next year, which I know is a straightforward but often exposed scramble. Longer term I'd love to do Grossglockner, Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa (you get the picture). When I have money next winter I think a mountaineering course will be on the cards

Thanks for the offer! I can't commit to anything right now because I'm urgently jobseeking, but I will keep it in mind when I'm set and the weather clears! Wales is easily within reach for a weekend

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 am

Winter shots of the Snowdon Horseshoe look spectacular. Where's the Parson Arete?

We have some spectacular little mountains on this island, I'm gutted it took me so long to realise this!

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 am

Trevers89, just a word of warning... If you end up meeting up with Stef "sjarelkwint" sometime for an outing, be sure you've seen his facebook profile picture first. You might change your mind. :P

Sorry Stef, I had to.

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 pm

goldenhopper wrote:Trevers89, just a word of warning... If you end up meeting up with Stef "sjarelkwint" sometime for an outing, be sure you've seen his facebook profile picture first. You might change your mind. :P

Sorry Stef, I had to.

What makes you think I want an easy ride? :P Although I am curious now...

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Sounds like a fun trip Stef, have fun dude!
- The Dude, Lebowski

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:33 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Hotoven wrote:Sounds like a fun trip Stef, have fun dude!

I always have fun on my trips 8)

Still expecting you over here to go climbing in the alps when you're settled a bit after college/university (whatever they call it in the uk :-D )

No doubt, I hope come over someday!
- The Dude, Lebowski

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm actually very tempted to head over for a long day sometime between Christmas and New Year. I could get a train into Bangor and bus over to Capel Curig or Llanberis. I'll give you an answer at the weekend or early next week!

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Is the North Ridge substantially harder than the East Ridge?

Also, would we be roped/do I need a harness?

I'll look into the options for travel and crampon rental. I don't think I can really afford to buy them at the moment

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm

I can get a harness, I need one anyway

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 am

Another question has come up after I talked to people at my climbing club. I mentioned winter climbing in Snowdon and they asked what type of crampons I was going to take. Obviously I answered that I don't know and they explained that there are two grades of crampon, C1's and C2's which are more heavy duty, and that while C1's should attach to any boot, C2's are designed to go with proper mountaineering boots.

I have a pair of Scarpa Infinity GTX's which have been great for long distance trekking, hill-walking and scrambling so far. What type of crampons would we need, and might there be problems with compatability with my boots? I can't afford the expense of buying mountaineering boots now, and I'll probably pull out if it is a problem

Trevers89

by Trevers89 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Turns out my boots aren't compatible with crampons. Plas y Brenin is closed between Christmas and New Year. I've emailed a rental place in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, if they're also closed then I won't be able to come along

Next

Return to Technique and Training