Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

North Peak Tioga Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

North Peak Tioga Pass

Postby avalanch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Can someone give me an idea of how many miles it is to go and check out the ice routes on North Peak? Also how difficult is the hike? The reason I ask is that I am planning a trip with the brother and law and he wanted to go out and check it out with me, but he has bad knees, so knowing that should he stay behind or do you think he has a chance, I am not worried about myself, just him and his weak knees. Thanks everyone for your input...:)
User Avatar
avalanch

 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:36 pm
Location: Fresno, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Bob Burd » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:07 pm

It's a little more than three miles, one way from Saddlebag Lake with 1,000ft of gain to the start of the routes.
User Avatar
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:42 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 471 times in 239 posts

Postby pjc30943 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:36 am

doofus wrote:You can trim off a bit by taking the taxi, no?


Regarding the taxi, I've wanted to try that out 'cause it seems like a fun change from the routine hike along the lake. But I could never find a phone number to call the resort (the Contact Us page always has an error), thus it's not possible to tell what time periods it's available.
If anyone knows where to get that info...
pjc30943

 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: Oregon, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby DanielWade » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 am

When I was up there a few months ago, they were running the boat shuttle every 30. We took one over at 11 and caught one back at 630PM. They start around 8. We didn't need advance reservations or anything.
User Avatar
DanielWade

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby fatdad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:50 am

The three mile figure quoted above takes the taxi ride into account. Without the taxi, it's an extra hour of walking each way.

Also, my recollection is that the resort isn't open for much more than a couple weeks after Labor Day.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 88 times in 62 posts

Postby dyusem » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:36 pm

pjc30943 wrote:
doofus wrote:You can trim off a bit by taking the taxi, no?


Regarding the taxi, I've wanted to try that out 'cause it seems like a fun change from the routine hike along the lake. But I could never find a phone number to call the resort (the Contact Us page always has an error), thus it's not possible to tell what time periods it's available.
If anyone knows where to get that info...


http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/
User Avatar
dyusem

 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 am
Location: Inverness, California, United States
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Postby dyusem » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Bob Burd wrote:It's a little more than three miles, one way from Saddlebag Lake with 1,000ft of gain to the start of the routes.


I believe the time/distance that Bob references is if the water taxi is utilized; is that correct Bob?
User Avatar
dyusem

 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 am
Location: Inverness, California, United States
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Postby cp0915 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:15 pm

dyusem wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:It's a little more than three miles, one way from Saddlebag Lake with 1,000ft of gain to the start of the routes.


I believe the time/distance that Bob references is if the water taxi is utilized; is that correct Bob?


Not in my estimation. I was just up there two weeks ago, and it only took our group like 1.5 hours or so to get to the base of the NW ridge from the trailhead. It's very short.
User Avatar
cp0915

 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:40 am
Location: The Most Irresponsible City on Earth, Nevada
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby klk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:39 pm

cp0915 wrote:
dyusem wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:It's a little more than three miles, one way from Saddlebag Lake with 1,000ft of gain to the start of the routes.


I believe the time/distance that Bob references is if the water taxi is utilized; is that correct Bob?


Not in my estimation. I was just up there two weeks ago, and it only took our group like 1.5 hours or so to get to the base of the NW ridge from the trailhead. It's very short.


Regardless of whether it's three miles or four, there's very little elevation gain and x-country involved, so it feels really easy by Sierra standards.

One caveat, especially for the OP: The water taxi begins too late for an ice climb. You'll need to hike past the lake if you're getting an alpine start. But that "easy" mile along the lake is remarkably hard on bad knees or backs, because it traverses a debris slope made out of baseball-melon sized rocks. I would either arrange for the slower hiker to start later, take the taxi, and then meet you after the climb at steelhead lake; or else arrange for both of you to take the taxi back after.
klk

 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: California
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby pjc30943 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11 pm

dyusem wrote:
pjc30943 wrote:
doofus wrote:You can trim off a bit by taking the taxi, no?


Regarding the taxi, I've wanted to try that out 'cause it seems like a fun change from the routine hike along the lake. But I could never find a phone number to call the resort (the Contact Us page always has an error), thus it's not possible to tell what time periods it's available.
If anyone knows where to get that info...


http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/


But, again, the Contact Us page is dead. The website has no contact info.
pjc30943

 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: Oregon, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby dyusem » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 pm

pjc30943 wrote:
dyusem wrote:
pjc30943 wrote:
doofus wrote:You can trim off a bit by taking the taxi, no?


Regarding the taxi, I've wanted to try that out 'cause it seems like a fun change from the routine hike along the lake. But I could never find a phone number to call the resort (the Contact Us page always has an error), thus it's not possible to tell what time periods it's available.
If anyone knows where to get that info...


http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/


But, again, the Contact Us page is dead. The website has no contact info.


Oops...sorry, the only contact info that I can unearth is:

staff@saddlebaglakeresort.com

or

PO Box 303
Lee Vining, CA. 93541

You could always try 411 to get a telephone #
User Avatar
dyusem

 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 am
Location: Inverness, California, United States
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Postby pjc30943 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 am

For those interested: As of yesterday the left couloir was all snow, and will probably not be ice this season; it is somewhat solid under the looser outer layer, and holds pickets well. The right couloir was in, and after the first twenty meters or so was all ice; the schrund is fairly easily passable on either side.
pjc30943

 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: Oregon, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby rhyang » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm

User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Next

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.