Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Obsession or goals?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Postby Grampahawk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:47 pm

I though I just had a goal. It is Aconcongua. But I now find that I am obsessed. In addition to hiking in the White Mountains frequently, I usually do 2 trips a year to do something big. This year money was tight so I after I came back fro CO in July I didn't plan another trip. I'm going crazy with the fact that I won't have a big winter trip planned. So I guess I'm obsessed with being cold, tired, hungry, and being able to look down at the world. I MEAN it. I literally can't stop thinking about climbing. BTW- I hate those "back-saver" shovels too.
User Avatar
Grampahawk

 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: White River Junction, Vermont, United States
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Postby John Duffield » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Grampahawk wrote:I though I just had a goal. It is Aconcongua. But I now find that I am obsessed. In addition to hiking in the White Mountains frequently, I usually do 2 trips a year to do something big. This year money was tight so I after I came back fro CO in July I didn't plan another trip. I'm going crazy with the fact that I won't have a big winter trip planned. So I guess I'm obsessed with being cold, tired, hungry, and being able to look down at the world. I MEAN it. I literally can't stop thinking about climbing. BTW- I hate those "back-saver" shovels too.


Given my number of FTSs (Failure to Summit) of late, I'm wondering if I need to be obsessed in order to actually summit and am not. I love being in the mountains, but little things, like getting lost, or getting concerned about death or injury at some point seem to intervene. I had a wonderful time on Aconcagua, but wasn't obsessed and when I got frostbitten and one eye started to freeze at 30 below w 50 mph winds, turned back at 6520 M.
User Avatar
John Duffield

 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:48 pm
Location: New York City, , China
Thanked: 788 times in 435 posts

Postby MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 pm

John Duffield wrote:
Grampahawk wrote:I though I just had a goal. It is Aconcongua. But I now find that I am obsessed. In addition to hiking in the White Mountains frequently, I usually do 2 trips a year to do something big. This year money was tight so I after I came back fro CO in July I didn't plan another trip. I'm going crazy with the fact that I won't have a big winter trip planned. So I guess I'm obsessed with being cold, tired, hungry, and being able to look down at the world. I MEAN it. I literally can't stop thinking about climbing. BTW- I hate those "back-saver" shovels too.


Given my number of FTSs (Failure to Summit) of late, I'm wondering if I need to be obsessed in order to actually summit and am not. I love being in the mountains, but little things, like getting lost, or getting concerned about death or injury at some point seem to intervene. I had a wonderful time on Aconcagua, but wasn't obsessed and when I got frostbitten and one eye started to freeze at 30 below w 50 mph winds, turned back at 6520 M.


Perhaps, John, you need to join the Anti-Spray thread over in the Ethics forum. We're all quite proud of our under-achievement! :wink:
User Avatar
MarthaP

 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Thanked: 4 times in 1 post

Postby MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Been thinking also, once I get done with everything else, of taking Guy Waterman's approach to the 14ers - climb each of them from the four points of direction. That'd mean over 200 summits, some including some pretty gnarly technical climbing. Could be fun.... :roll:
User Avatar
MarthaP

 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Thanked: 4 times in 1 post

Postby kamil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Radek, I remember your memorable TR from that chosspile.

Borut, that route of yours is amazing too.

Rob, told you that before but will keep repeating - you're one big badass dude!

For a couple years my goal on a border of obsession had been this one.
Image
Finally got the FA of the peak last summer. Yeah, there are some unclimbed peaks in Europe if you take a good look :)
The only list I may try to complete in this life is European country highpoints, got 17 so far, but I don't bag them systematically, just climb a mountain when I'm somewhere nearby.
User Avatar
kamil

 
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:31 pm
Location: Aódź, Poland
Thanked: 22 times in 17 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 pm

My (occasional) obsession is to use as little gas as possible for a "hike", and to start only at places that I can reach in my modest-clearance car. This is tough as I often go alone.

Since Calico Basin is just 5 miles from my house, I go there a lot and loop over the trailless peaks and down slots until I hit some accumulated elevation gain, from 2000' (when I start really late) to 6500'. I can do this only in cooler weather, and the short days of winter are a bit limiting.

For some peaks, the obsession means that I turn what might ordinarily be a 2000' gain into a 5000' gain.

Actually, what often happens is that I drive my car places where it doesn't belong.

(moved from another thread, OCD)
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7650
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 756 times in 490 posts

Postby cp0915 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Thread-bleed.
User Avatar
cp0915

 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:40 am
Location: The Most Irresponsible City on Earth, Nevada
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby Bob Sihler » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:19 am

knoback wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:In general, I'm not too interested in roping up to climb mountains-- too lazy to carry and use the gear, prefer to go light and do what my abilities and guts allow-- but this one is an exception.

Pilot Peak, Wyoming
Image

Can I go?


If you lead, I will buy the beer!
User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7357
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Thanked: 1878 times in 1055 posts

Postby Andinistaloco » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
knoback wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:In general, I'm not too interested in roping up to climb mountains-- too lazy to carry and use the gear, prefer to go light and do what my abilities and guts allow-- but this one is an exception.

Pilot Peak, Wyoming
Image

Can I go?


If you lead, I will buy the beer!


You had your chance at that one last summer, mister. :lol: 8)
User Avatar
Andinistaloco

 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:32 am
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States
Thanked: 68 times in 42 posts

Postby Bob Sihler » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 am

Andinistaloco wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:
knoback wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:In general, I'm not too interested in roping up to climb mountains-- too lazy to carry and use the gear, prefer to go light and do what my abilities and guts allow-- but this one is an exception.

Pilot Peak, Wyoming
Image

Can I go?


If you lead, I will buy the beer!


You had your chance at that one last summer, mister. :lol: 8)


Damn, you caught me cheating on you. :D

Actually, next year is not out of the question since I hope to do a WY-MT trip in August.
User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7357
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Thanked: 1878 times in 1055 posts

Postby Andinistaloco » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:42 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:
knoback wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:In general, I'm not too interested in roping up to climb mountains-- too lazy to carry and use the gear, prefer to go light and do what my abilities and guts allow-- but this one is an exception.

Pilot Peak, Wyoming
Image

Can I go?


If you lead, I will buy the beer!


You had your chance at that one last summer, mister. :lol: 8)


Damn, you caught me cheating on you. :D

Actually, next year is not out of the question since I hope to do a WY-MT trip in August.


You slut!

Hmmm, I usually go up to WY/MT in the summer. If I don't go to Peru, I'm almost sure to be there.
User Avatar
Andinistaloco

 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:32 am
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States
Thanked: 68 times in 42 posts

Previous

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.