Oceania not Oceana

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Klenke

Oceania not Oceana

by Klenke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 am

I noticed that Oceana is one of the continent choices when making a new page. I think Oceania is meant. Oceana is a non-profit organization.

Klenke

Re: Oceania not Oceana

by Klenke » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Okay, it's been a month and the choice is still the incorrect "Oceana." I guess the elves are super-busy. :headshake:

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Klenke wrote:Okay, it's been a month and the choice is still the incorrect "Oceana." I guess the elves are super-busy. :headshake:

The elves don't have access to changing the pull-down menu. In fact, I brought up the Oceana vs Oceania issue years ago.

In the pull-down, there are some misspelled countries as well and there are also missing countries.

Here's a list I made several years ago:

Countries With Errors in Their SP Names:

Trinida: should be Trinidad and Tobago

Missing Countries:

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
South Sudan
Niue
Cook Islands
Samoa (formerly Western Samoa)

All of these are official countries.

Addition of other constituent countries (on October 10 2010, Netherlands Antilles changed from a autonomous country to separate constituent countries):

Aruba
Curaçao
Sint Maarten

Former Territories Given Country Status:

French Polynesia: Formerly a territory, was given country status in 2003.

Disputed Countries (i.e recognized through much of the world):

Western Sahara
Palestinian Authority

Territories or Commonwealths:

Though territories and commonwealths, these are given the same status as Dependent Countries, but not fully Independent Countries. I think they should be included in the drop downs. It makes searching for mountains in those areas so much easier. For example, when I went to Puerto Rico, I sure wish it was easier to find the SP info there. Same with Guadeloupe, etc. It's kind of a pain to search through all the pages in the Unites States or France just to see what mountains have been added to Puerto Rico and Guadeloupe.

Anguilla
Cayman Islands
Guadeloupe
Martinique
Monserrat
Turks and Caicos
Falkland Islands
French Guiana
Réunion
Channel Islands
Faroe Islands
Gibraltar
American Samoa
Guam
New Caledonia
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands
Pitcarin Islands
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of these, including Oceania need to be fixed in the pull downs. It has been several years now, so I don't know when they will be fixed.

Klenke

by Klenke » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 am

That's a nicely compiled list. But changing country names is one thing. Oceania vs. Oceana is another.

Well if it isn't the elves it's the owners of the website. This is a webmaster's problem, and it's not rocket science to fix it.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Well if it isn't the elves it's the owners of the website.

No one has heard from the two owners (Josh and Ryle) of this website for years.

Josh hasn't logged in for more than six years (February 7 2011). His last post was February 13 2006, more than 11 years ago.

Ryle logged in on January 26 2017, but the last time he made contact is March 24 2006.

The elves can make changes to things like the Front Page, Page templates, the Pages themselves, and the Forum.

Montana Matt may be able to fix the pull-down and hopefully it will happen eventually. I would like to see it fixed as well and will bring it up again.

Klenke

by Klenke » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 am

Josh and Ryle probably don't get an internet connection on their fancy yachts they bought using all of the ad money they've received. (Wish I had started this website....but....sigh....I wasn't the one.)

Return to Site Feedback