Oh, what to do in NZ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
ChugachMan

Oh, what to do in NZ?

by ChugachMan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm going to be taking off for a 10 week work trip down south soon, and plan on vacationing in NZ at the end of it for 2+ weeks (the first two weeks in February). I've looked through the forums, and done a bit more research out there, but could definitely use some help in getting me started in figuring out what to do. Any recommendations out there would be great - I'm hoping to get in some climbing, SCUBA, and standard tourist fare, but am also interested in climbing a bit in the Alps. Have you been there? Anything you're highly recommend?

Mountain Bandit

by Mountain Bandit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 am

There's plenty of stuff to do in NZ. Beautiful bushwalking country and some good mountain biking tracks. In winter its excelent for skiing and snowboarding but in Feb thats not an option. There is some big bungi jumping spots a well which is good fun. This is only a start......

And of course mountains to climb:
A few friends and I are climbing Mt Earnslaw in early december. Its the highest mountain in the region Otago, in the south island and is relatively easy technically speaking. For more challenging mountains there is Mt Aspiring and of course Mt Cook (highest in NZ) to name a few. Mt Ruapehu is in the north island is is quite an impressive mountain as well - an active volcano.

O-well have fun.

Baarb

by Baarb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 am

This is the stuff I've enjoyed down there, no real Alps experience though:

North Island: Ruapehu, the Tongariro crossing, Abel Tasman NP is good for kayaking and sky-diving, Rotorua is OK but it's not Yellowstone though there's caving around there I think. Haven't been to White Island but would if I could.

South Island: Milford Sound, any of the longer treks, the Routeburn Track was great, bungee jumping in Queenstown, Stewart Island is pretty nice though a bit out the way if you only have two weeks.

There's an excellent bus network but if you're driving there are so many great places to camp, particularly by lakes. Night skies are the best I've seen. Can't help but enjoy yourself down there!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Abundant good rock climbing, one of my favorites was a crag over the sea near Dunedin. My daughter and I had to walk down some railroad tracks and had it all to ourselves. Kind of remote. Should be in the book. Relatively steep ice climbing up on the Fox Glacier all year around. Have done some cool caving on the west coast, near Westport I think. Multi day sea kayaking in Fiordland National Park was quite grand. Want to meet a real historical mountaineer, who has a few stories about Antarctica? Stay with my close friends near Geraldine. We met through a mutual connection in Alaska. Small world.

They have every animal in the world, incredible B&B experience....tell them I sent you and you love climbing stories and I am sure you will have one hell of a free range dinner.

Enjoy man, great country, great folks.

ChugachMan

Awesome

by ChugachMan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm

Awesome leads all. Thanks Especially to Dow for the heads-up on your "close friends!". Any tips out there on finding a climbing partner in NZ for Aspiring or Cook (assuming conditions allow of course...)? None of my usual partners feel like flying halfway across the world currently ;)

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Join the Forum on www.mountainz.co.nz

There's often others looking for partners during the summer.

ChugachMan

Thanks

by ChugachMan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks Damien - I'll give that a go.

radson

by radson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 am

Nanuls

Re: Thanks

by Nanuls » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am

ChugachMan wrote:I'm going to be taking off for a 10 week work trip down south soon, and plan on vacationing in NZ at the end of it for 2+ weeks (the first two weeks in February). I've looked through the forums, and done a bit more research out there, but could definitely use some help in getting me started in figuring out what to do. Any recommendations out there would be great - I'm hoping to get in some climbing, SCUBA, and standard tourist fare, but am also interested in climbing a bit in the Alps. Have you been there? Anything you're highly recommend?

Hi there, I'm going to be out in NZ at roughly the same time as you (1st of Feb to the 24th). Plan to do the tourist thing, but would also like to do a bit of climbing while I'm there, so will probably have a rope and my rack with me. If you fancy meeting up for a day or two give me a shout.

Cheers
Dan

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands