OMG...I don't have a puffy!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Tonka

OMG...I don't have a puffy!

by Tonka » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:08 pm

The only down coat I own is an Mountain Hardware Sub Zero with out the hood. I bring it with me when there is the potential for real cold weather but with layering I find I never use it. I have the stuff sack but it does not pack down all that small (like a summer sleeping bag) which puts it at the bottom of the pack and who wants to deal with that.

I live in MN and also travel to cold weather destinations frequently.

I would like some general opinions on the puffy. Worthwile? Replace enough layers in situations to rationalize (I'm not doing a lot of rock or ice so belay jacket is not my need right now). They don't seem to pack a whole lot smaller than my sub zero but are lighter. I guess I'm really wondering if I would find myself useing it...when I don't use my heavier down now.

Money no object I get having one but I'm just wondering how far down the gear list it goes. :)

no avatar
bearbreeder

Re: OMG...I don't have a puffy!

by bearbreeder » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:30 pm

i got 5 puffays ... lol

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm

I have a hooded Patagonia micro puff. That along with a few layers is all I've needed to sub zero temps. Best part for me about the micro puff is that it's light and synthetic, so in the worst possible scenario I can count on it to save my arse.

It was 6F when this photo was taken and I was toasty!
(He's just a man ladies, he's just a man...)

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Only one puffy coat? :shock:
You certainly aren't a gear whore like many here but if money is no object you'd better get with the program. I have several from lightweight jackets without hoods to a full down suit. They all have their uses but the one I use most is my inexpensive EMS Primaloft belay jacket. I know you weren't looking at something like this and they aren't as light or pack down as small as some down jackets but it's the one I use most. I've worn it while belaying in New Hampshire in -20 temps, to the summit of Aconcagua and up to 17K on Denali. It's not so hot that I overheat while climbing in cold temps, the hood fits over a helmet, it's tough and I don't worry about it getting wet or torn like my expensive down.

drpw

by drpw » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:10 pm

if you get a puffy you'll just save a lot of weight and space in your pack. fleece and other layers just can't compare in space to weight to warmth ratio. for me during winter i hike in base layers and a softshell hoody when it's really cold and throw on a puffy and shell when i get to camp.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 am

Hey, Nancy, sounds like you really like the Micro Puff?
I'm thinking of getting one, reason I ask. I currently have an OR Chaos, which is virtually brand new(though a year old), and am thinking of returning it to Backcountry.com, as the hood on it is HUGE. Kind of funky. I've read many reviews, and some say it is big as its a belay jacket, etc. so meant to be sized large. Be that as it may, I'm not often, at this point, going to be using it as a belay jacket; rather, as that outer, lightweight but hopefully warm layer to throw on when needed whilst backcountry skiing or climbing. My cousin had one threw one on this past summer when we did S. Sister, and he was warm while I was a bit cold.
Anyway, wonder how the hood is on the Micro puff? I know they, the hoods, are sized to fit a helmet, but, Jeez, the one on my Chaos is HUGE, and I can't really get it dialed in no matter how I adjust it; it either looks really pinched around the sides or is loose and colossal.

Any comments are appreciated.

Kai

by Kai » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:32 am

I never go into the backcountry without my puffy.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:38 am

Koonster, no way you're going to wear a helmet with the micropuff. The hood is pretty snug and well contoured to your head. The main body of the jacket has some extra room for layering, but not too much and the jacket is not baggy by any means. The nylon is very thin so you have to be careful with it. Mine is 5 years old now and has a few repairs.

I'm a very warm sleeper and if I'm moving at all I can deal with a t-shirt, shell pant and light fleece with temps down to the low teens. I take cold baths daily by choice; as cold as I can get the water. My other trail name is "The Ice Man" so taking my word on a warmth rating has its disadvantages.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Not sure what you are looking for, but I picked up a Rab Neutrino Endurance last winter, and really like it. Warm, packable and light, with a helmet-compatible hood. Probably not as warm as my Feathered Friends Volant, but significantly lighter.

I have a few (umm :oops: ) synthetic jackets too, but the rab is probably my favorite puffy :mrgreen:
Taaaake !

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 pm

NancyHands wrote:Koonster, no way you're going to wear a helmet with the micropuff. The hood is pretty snug and well contoured to your head. The main body of the jacket has some extra room for layering, but not too much and the jacket is not baggy by any means. The nylon is very thin so you have to be careful with it. Mine is 5 years old now and has a few repairs.

I'm a very warm sleeper and if I'm moving at all I can deal with a t-shirt, shell pant and light fleece with temps down to the low teens. I take cold baths daily by choice; as cold as I can get the water. My other trail name is "The Ice Man" so taking my word on a warmth rating has its disadvantages.

He, thanks Nancy.
Yeah, don't really know if I want/need a helmet compatible hood or not. I have a few, ahem, other jackets that could fill that need should it arise. Or, get another, ahem, jacket when and if I need one for that purpose. As mentioned, my OR does have that feature, but, the hood is waaay huge! Too big for my needs at this point. And, I don't think its nearly as compressible as the Patagucc.
When I did a ski on S. Sister back in July, it was cool and windy at the top, and my cousin pulls out his Micro Puff w/hood, and it seemed to fill that need of hooded warmth quite nicely, whereas I only had a Marmot windshirt, no hood, and was very chilly.
Anyway, thanks for the info. Will try one on and sample it soon.
And Rob, thanks for your advice on the Rab as well, but, I don't know if Backcountry carries them or not, and I need to go through them if I want to return my OR for something else.

Cold baths every morning Nancy? That's fairly hardcore. Perhaps you should change your username to the "Iceman."The Iceman cometh!

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:14 pm

dskoon wrote:And Rob, thanks for your advice on the Rab as well, but, I don't know if Backcountry carries them or not, and I need to go through them if I want to return my OR for something else.

I'm pretty sure bc.com carries them. I believe there is a 30% off coupon for Rab stuff right now too .. the code should be posted on their FB site. I got mine on sale at prolitegear.com though. Probably will be on sale again if you're patient.. Google Shopping is your friend :)
Taaaake !

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:44 pm

NancyHands wrote:Koonster, no way you're going to wear a helmet with the micropuff. The hood is pretty snug and well contoured to your head. The main body of the jacket has some extra room for layering, but not too much and the jacket is not baggy by any means. The nylon is very thin so you have to be careful with it. Mine is 5 years old now and has a few repairs.

Patagonia changed the fabric and cut of the Micropuff at some point. My Micropuff is pretty darn baggy and the hood fits well over my helmet. I have been pleasantly surprised with just how durable the light fabric has been. I have had it at least 5 years.

You can see the fit of my Micropuff- fits over my helmet quite well. (I'm the dude in the back).

From http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/climbing ... acket.html
“ The only downside to the Puff is its lack of durability. The lining fabric is super light weight and doesn’t like any form of abrasion – even rubbing against velcro hooks. On some versions of the jacket the outer shell is made from the same material. This pretty much means that if you show it a piece of granite, let alone rub up against some, the fabric will start serious falling apart. This is exactly what happened to the first jacket I had (pictured above) and I’ve seen other people do the same to theirs.

I returned it to Patagonia who stood by their returns policy and replaced it. Interestingly the store had two versions of the Puff in stock, one with a significantly tougher shell. I’ve had this for the past year and while it hasn’t seen a huge amount of use is showing a lot less wear than the original – which looked pretty trashed after two big alpine climbs. I’m not sure which one got adopted as the standard but I’d definitely recommend the slightly heavier outer fabric. I’d be slightly wary of the lighter version though.”

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks, EB. Interesting read.
Yeah, I thought the hood on that should fit over a helmet, despite what Nancy says. .
There website says that it fits "snugly over a helmet," which might be better than the voluminous hood on my OR.
Also, looks like the newer Micro Puffs are using Primaloft One, rather than polarguard for insulation, which I think would make it warmer than older versions, and/or, more compressible.
As far as the durability goes, well, we'll just have to roll the dice on that one. I don't plan on rubbing it up against too many granite chimneys in the near future; more likely a snow-climbing/skiing, and hiking jacket.
EB, have you been happy with the warmth of the jacket? Again, I don't really plan on using it to hang out on belays with; I understand its limitations.
Thanks again.

And Rob, that Endurance looks pretty good, though I'm not sure if I'm looking for that much of a "puffy." Already have the Phantom, by MH, though it doesn't have a hood. . . :?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 pm

dskoon wrote:Thanks, EB. Interesting read.
Yeah, I thought the hood on that should fit over a helmet, despite what Nancy says. .
There website says that it fits "snugly over a helmet," which might be better than the voluminous hood on my OR.
Also, looks like the newer Micro Puffs are using Primaloft One, rather than polarguard for insulation, which I think would make it warmer than older versions, and/or, more compressible.
As far as the durability goes, well, we'll just have to roll the dice on that one. I don't plan on rubbing it up against too many granite chimneys in the near future; more likely a snow-climbing/skiing, and hiking jacket.
EB, have you been happy with the warmth of the jacket? Again, I don't really plan on using it to hang out on belays with; I understand its limitations.
Thanks again.

My Micropuff fits perfectly over my helmet (Petzl Elios) with a little room to spare but the snugging cords tighen it down perfectly. I have actually climbed chimneys on rough granite in my Microfuff with no snags or rips whatever. Mine is made is Primaloft and is very warm for its weight, I have been extremely pleased with its warmth. In my photo we are on top of Chair Peak in Feburary, a peak I have climbed 14 times in winter. It was the coldest I had seen on that peak, so cold my feet were numb for a month afterwards and I was wearing insulated single leather ice climbing boots. It was quite windy but with my Micropuff I stayed just warm enough. I was wearing a Patagonia mid weight Capeline zip tee, Marmot Diclime windshirt, Marmot Precip jacket, and the Micropuff.

Fair warning: I run very hot. In fact, a tradional Chinese doctor made a clinical diagnosis that I have pathalogically 'hot blood'. (I rather like this diagnosis as the one from the allopathic immunologist was a rare, incurable, untreatable primary immunodeficiency.) In Chinese medicine hot blood is very treatable. But I digress... Suffice it to say I don't get cold often.

Kai

by Kai » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:30 pm

mattski wrote:
Kai wrote:I never go into the backcountry without my puffy.

whys that?

Because if something unexpected happens, a puffy keeps you warm, which can help you survive a cold night or a storm, etc.

Next

Return to Gear