Orizaba Prices and Options

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
mtvalley

Orizaba Prices and Options

by mtvalley » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Anybody have experience with hiring a Mexican guide for Orizaba? How much did they charge and was the guide worth it?

I've searched but its pretty hard to come by prices, especially since I'm just floating possibilities for Jan. 2012, no solid plans yet.

My sense is Sr. Reyes and Sr. Cancholas are the most expensive but I wonder if other services are just as good, and a lot cheaper especially since most people go unguided.

Roots

Re: Orizaba Prices and Options

by Roots » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:25 am

Was there about 9 years ago - most of the routes are basic which allows for ez climbing. Sorry don't know prices for what you requested but I do remember going by a start up place about 1/2 mile from Reyes'. Possibly it was Cancholas but that does not sound familiar.

For what it's worth: I thought the Reyes Compund was cool with excellent food.

!Buena Suerte!

no avatar
Kenneth.alone

by Kenneth.alone » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:29 am

I somewhat doubt that other guide services are as good Sr Reyes as his connections and personal resources are both broad and sound. I have been unguided more than once and would suggest that, Sr Reyes can offer you the support you may need once you are in the area.
Fly to MEX and catch a bus to Sr Reyes' place and its smooth sailing to 18,000+ft.

gotschall@fordham.edu

by gotschall@fordham.edu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm wondering how much experience is required to climb Pico de Orizaba. I have no experience with ropes and pins, but I do have experience using an ice axe and crampons, as well as experience in high-altitude. I reached the summit of Mt. Whitney (no guide, overnight summit up the ice chute, roughly 30 degrees +/-); Jebel Toubkal (in Morocco; roughly 30 degree snow field ascent during early morning); Mt. Kilimanjaro (non-technical); etc. I lived in Cusco (11,000 ft.) for 6 months this year and did numerous hikes in the 15,000 ft. + range. I am young, athletic, healthy, etc.

Is this sufficient? Is the Jamapa Glacier safe? It is absolutely necessary to hire a guide? Are ropes necessary?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciate. I'm confident that I can do this mountain, but I want to be sure and address all safety and technical concerns before committing.

Thanks in advance!

msumountainman

by msumountainman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 pm

I climbed Izta and Orizaba in 2006 with Orizaba Mountain Guides. Oso (as he goes by) is the head of the company and holds the record for most Orizaba ascents. Besides climbing in Mexico with Oso in 2006, I also climbed with him and Javier (another of his guides) in Peru twice in later years. They are good guys and I definitely recommend them. If you go to the website, there are prices listed for different options. When in Tlachichuca, I stayed at the Canchola's hostel (which Oso had arranged). Joaquin and his daughter, Maribel, were tremendous hosts! I'm a huge Detroit Tigers fan and they were playing in the World Series while I was there. Joaquin and I watched the games together and it was a lot of fun (he is also a baseball fan). They definitely made me feel like family while was there. Hopefully Joaquin still has the Tigers shirt I gave him after the trip. But anyway, that trip to Mexico was one of the best climbing trips I've ever had so that's why I highly recommend them.

http://www.orizabamountainguides.com.mx/about.html

Regarding the question from gotschall, it is not a technically difficult climb. So you can easily do it as long as you're sufficiently acclimated and proficient with ice axe and crampons. The danger (besides altitude, weather, etc) is that it is steep and can be very icy on the glacier. If you were to fall and be unable to self arrest....things likely wouldn't end well. When I climbed it, the conditions were very icy and Oso put in protection on a couple sections. Under the right conditions and with the appropriate skills, I'm sure this could easily be done solo without ropes. But that is very subjective so it's really an invidual decision. It's definitely a peak worth visiting though!

The following user would like to thank msumountainman for this post
splattski

gotschall@fordham.edu

by gotschall@fordham.edu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:49 am

Thank you for sharing your experience ! It sounds like it was a phenomenal trip. I appreciate the advice, and I'm happy to hear enthusiasm about traveling there.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean