Overboot Fit Question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
elichten

Overboot Fit Question

by elichten » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:45 am

I have a pair of Scarpa Invernos and just bought a pair of 40 Below overboots in preparation for Denali. I'm having a hell of a time fitting my crampons (Petzl Vasak leverlock) onto the boot/overboot combo.

I can get the leverlock to lock, but then the back edge of the crampons (the metal tabs that are supposed to meet the back edge of the boot) extend past the boot by about half a centimeter. And the material of the overboot looks very compressed. The crampons do feel secure though.

When I size the crampons to fit snug (as they do when I wear them with just the boots), I can't get the leverlock to lock.

I'm not sure if this is normal as I have no experience with overboots. Any advice on this (or anything pertaining to boots+overboots+crampons) would be most welcome. Thanks.

Ben Beckerich

Re: Overboot Fit Question

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 am

That's probably as good as you're going to get it... the heal lever is designed to snap down on the heal welt flush with the rear of the boot, and you're asking it to do so now with a bunch of material in the way- pushing the heal plate back a little.

I have no experience with overboots, myself, but it stands to reason. Whatever you do, make damn sure they're locked on tight and cannot be kicked off
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

elichten

by elichten » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks Ben. That's what I thought, but I'm still hoping that there's a trick to this out there somewhere. I'm going to call the 40 Below people and see what they know.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:11 am

Another thought is go with a crampon with a universal binding.

cab

by cab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 pm

I was going to use Scarpa Invernos / Petzl Vasak Leverlock Crampons on Denali also but had a really hard time fitting the crampons with overboots (OR Brooks Rangers). I actually broke one of the leverlocks while trying to fit them at home before I left (called Petzl and they sent me a replacement part for free to their credit).

Anyway, I figured I didn't want to spend that much time on the actual mountain trying to get ready (in possibly not the greatest conditions) and possibly breaking something again, so I ended up buying some Black Diamond strap-on crampons. I didn't have to worry about those with the overboots and could cinch them down as tight as possible so there was no chance they would come off.

Even without overboots on, I found that I couldn't get a great fit with the Invernos/Petzl Crampons. The Petzl Leverlocks fit great on my La Sportiva Nepal Evos, but for some reason they just aren't that compatible with the Invernos.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Another thought; Replace the stock liners with Intuition liners and add insulated supergaitors, adhering the rubber rand to the boot with ski skin adhesive. Bake the liners with a thick, warm insole. This set-up is very warm and far less clunky, and with no affect on crampon fit. If you arre climbing with a guide service they may require overboots, though.

Return to Gear