Peaks in the Boundary Waters Wilderness?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Bubba Suess

Peaks in the Boundary Waters Wilderness?

by Bubba Suess » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Looking over the Boundary Waters on the terrain map, it looks like there are some large ridges and even peaklets. Do y'all know if there are any reasonably prominent peaks? Has anyone even been to the Boundary Waters?

aedwards

by aedwards » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Eagle Mountain is in the BW, it's Minnesota's highest point at 2,301'. Around that are the Misquah Hills, some other big hills.
NE of there, around Kiskidinna Lake is a pretty rugged area, and off of the Arrowhead Trail, around Pine Lake, and East & West Pike lakes are some quite large (for MN) hills.
Eagle Mtn is a cool hike, good views, etc, with a good trail.
Hiking off trail in most of the rest of the BW is not a whole lot of fun to me, LOTS of bushwhacking, etc.

Edit to add that the Border Route Trail, which goes through the last place I mentioned, would be a very cool backpack trip.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:58 pm

I honestly had no idea that Eagle Mountain was in the wilderness area. I am an idiot.

aedwards

by aedwards » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Planning a trip there?

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Here is the view from just below the top (summit if you wish :) ) of Eagle Mountain. I've never really heard about any specific high points in BWCA outside of Eagle. Carry canoe up hill...paddle. Carry canoe uphill....paddle. Carry canoe uphill....paddle. That's portaging for ya.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)