Poll UIAA environmental declarations and charters

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Are you familiar with the UIAA environmental declarations and charters?

1. Member of an Alpine Association but not familiar with these declarations; don't really pay much attention to all this
No votes
2. Member of an Alpine Association but not familiar with these declarations; still, trying to keep my impact on the environment rather low
No votes
3. Member of an Alpine Association and familiar with these charters and declarations; don't do anything with them, not really bothered about all this environmental stuff.
No votes
4. Member of an Alpine Association and familiar with these charters and declarations; don't do anything with them, still try to keep my environmental impact low
50%
5. Member of an Alpine Association and familiar with these charters and declarations; try to keep them in mind, following these guiding principles
No votes
6. Not a member of an Alpine Association and not familiar with these declarations; don't really pay much attention to all this
50%
7. Not a member of an Alpine Association and not familiar with these declarations; still, trying to keep my impact on the environment rather low
No votes
8. Not a member of an Alpine Association but still familiar with these charters and declarations; don't do anything with them, not really bothered with all this
No votes
9. Not a member of an Alpine Association but still familiar with these charters and declarations; don't do anything with them, still try to keep my environmental impact low
No votes
10. Not a member of an Alpine Association but still familiar with these charters and declarations; try to keep them in mind, following these guiding principles
No votes

Total votes : 4
KoenVl

Poll UIAA environmental declarations and charters

by KoenVl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm doing a little survey for my master dissertation on the impact the declarations and charters of the UIAA have on their members when it comes to promoting social development, cultural understanding and environmental awareness in the high mountains. Declarations like the Kathmandu-Declaration (1982), the Summit Charter (2001), the Tyrol-Declaration on Best Practice in Mountain Sports (2002), Argeos Charter (2005), the Mountain Ethics Declaration (2009), etc.

I would just like to ask if you know one or more of these charters, delarations created by the UIAA (which aim at the protection of mountain environments), and if you are a member of an alpine association/club. Even if you know just one of these you can tick the answer that you know these declarations.

If you don't know them I would like to know whether you, consciously, try to do something for the environment (for example not throwing away any garbage, being respectfull towards local inhabitants, doesn't need to be a lot...), or whether you're not really bothered with all this.

If you know any of these declarations I would like to know who follows these guidelines and who doesn't. (If you don't I would like to know whether you're still trying to keep your impact on the environment rather low, or whether you're not really bothered with this.)

It would be very helpful if you can answer the question in the poll below (just picking 1 out of ten possibilities)!
I know these possibilities aren't really nuanced but I would just like to get a general view on jow well these declarations are known to mountaineers, hikers or mountain-enthousiasts.
Thanks!

Koen

Return to General