Poop N Scoop on Aconcagua. Is it working?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
windbreaker

Poop N Scoop on Aconcagua. Is it working?

by windbreaker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:21 am

Have any of the old timers on Aconcagua (perhaps "Repeat climbers" would be a little more gracious) noticed an improvement in sanitary conditions with the implementation of Poop N Scoop? I dont know how long or how hard they have been enforcing this rule but I do know that camp 1 on the Polish route was pretty bad in 2005. I have no problem with this policy and was just wondering if its working. :?:

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:21 am

I noticed a big difference last year. There were still those reluctant to abide but conditions while not perfect were better last year. I compare this to 2000 when I did a trip in December to a pristene mountain build tent platforms and latrine areas below the polish glacier. Then returned middle of January to find people pooping on our tent platforms and kitchen areas (while tents were there as well).
I remind everyone to bring extra bags for each "movement" leave it to freeze in a clearly marked cairn and double bag all these in the bag supplied by the parks, then bring it down frozen. Much more pleasent for the carry. :•)

Have fun. hope everyone trip is a "moving experience". Don't think I will be there this year. Cheers William

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:57 pm

I hope it's working. The hill below both Camp 1 and Camp 2 on the Polish side were pretty bad when I was there in Jan 2001. On the other hand, I watched a presentation given by one of the organizers of an Everest clean-up climb. He had photos of Aconcagua from the mid-1990's. They were much worse than anything I saw.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Ditto. The whole hill near Camp 1 on the Polish side was one of the most disgusting places I've ever seen or been. Toilet paper and shit under every rock, and on top of not a few. It's good that something's being done, but clearly, more needs to be done.

Corax

by Corax » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:36 am

I also think it's getting better. The "bag solution" may be revolting for some, but in a long term sense the alternative is no good.

Bags or no bags, there are always idiots around.
One time when I arrived in Nido, I saw a familiar tent a bit away, so I left my backpack (not pitching my tent) on a good camp platform and went to say hi to a friend. When went back I saw someone leaving my platform and found some "fresh stuff". I was very tempted to run after her and start the "teach-a-puppy-not-to-shit-inside-procedure".

Another problem is that the persons working in the park have very different opinions about the matter. I guess most are cool about it, but I have met both extremes as well. There are some real gestapo guys almost stalking climbers to see where they do the toilet and I met one guy who thought the whole system was ridiculous and said he and his friends had their "private toilet" in place x. I passed close to the indicated place a day later and the smell, plus loads of toilet paper confirmed he wasn't joking.

I have heard talks about making a more permanent solution in Nido. Deep holes, which will be covered after every season. As it seems like a lot of people still avoid to use the bags, this may be a good alternative. On the other hand; is it possible to dig deep enough up there and what will be the result after say 50 years?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:51 pm

I was there in December 2005. The only problem I saw on the normal route was at Camp Berlin. There was shit and toilet paper everywhere. The other camps were mostly clean.

Return to South America