Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Possible California skiing anywhere?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Luciano136 wrote:One hell of an approach but is the Lyell glacier ski-able? If you'll spend many hours getting far north, ya might as well enjoy it and hike instead, right :D ?

3 weeks ago it was plenty big enough (and at least a 1500 ft descent) but more suncupped than I think you would want.

I'm sorry but I don't know what it was like prior to 1996.
mrchad9

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 am

I'm a euro, so I buy German only :D . Japs are probably more reliable but I L-O-V-E German vehicles!! The only American I would buy is a truck; all the rest is garbage IMO. There's a rumor the American vehicles are making a comeback though (quality wise), so we'll see.
Luciano136

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:27 am

1000Pks wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:I'm a euro, so I buy German only :D . Japs are probably more reliable but I L-O-V-E German vehicles!! The only American I would buy is a truck; all the rest is garbage IMO. There's a rumor the American vehicles are making a comeback though (quality wise), so we'll see.

BMW makes the best cars in the world, by some, but too $$$$ for me. Lucky to be rich. They don't make computers or digital cameras, so what quality technology do you get? My area is filled with foreign car repair shops, though they'll work on any make/brand. I have to get to where I am going, with minimal cost and to the planet.

Hope that comeback rumor is true, I'm getting a Chevy if not a Nissan.

I have a nose for great deals; I have a VW, BMW and Merc and none of them cost more than an average Civic :D .

Buick seems to be the biggest surprise; they are actually bringing out models with a manual now! The new Ford Fiesta should be pretty good as well. So, the intention is there; time will tell if they hold up.
Luciano136

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:31 am

Godwin's Law:

a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1989 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving foreign cars or fuel economy approaches 1."
mrchad9

Postby Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 am

I guess this is what happens when you start a skiing thread in august....

:P
Blair

Postby EManBevHills » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:37 am

Blair,

Maybe 'ya would have had better luck if you started a thread like:
"Any glaciers left that are worth skiing in CA this time of year?"
:cry:
EManBevHills

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 am

I doubt it :lol:
butitsadryheat

Postby Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:27 am

Yo Eman, whats up...

So heres whats on the plate so far- Check out whats happenin @ carson Pass
- Were drivin past shasta, why not scope that
-Gathering beta on Mt Bachelor area
-Mt Hood

Its just gonna be a drive up and hit what worth looks good I guess! I do appreciate the ideas and pics posted. Its going to be cool to keep the 2010 'campaign' going. I havent skiied since July 5th, and am so ready and wanting to ski again :D
Blair

Postby jibmaster » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

It'll be a loooong way up for snow on Shasta. [/quote]
:roll:
ahem....pussy
jibmaster

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:11 pm

1000Pks wrote:
Buick seems to be the biggest surprise; they are actually bringing out models with a manual now! The new Ford Fiesta should be pretty good as well.

A rental Century was the best car that I've ever driven. Isn't it not Fiesta anymore (1970's)? And I thought Buick had manual transmissions already since my buddy had one. He forgets to put it in gear, when he lets off the clutch... Whheerrrhhh. Every time (80, then).

Not many might drive ~900 miles in a day with any cheap car, I love it in my Saturn. Then I hike 30 miles a day for fun, not even a peak involved.

The Fiesta continued life up to this day in other parts of the world (Europe for example). They will bring it back to the US in the same euro spec. The funny thing is that the euro Ford Focus for example has better and newer technology than the American spec; kind of ironic.
The main complaints about Buick is that they lost touch with a large part of the public and were seen as an old man's car. Reintroducing manuals with more peppy engines and a more stylish modern appearance is an effort to attract younger people again.

So, how about that snow :D ?
Luciano136

Postby dskoon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Blair wrote:Yo Eman, whats up...

So heres whats on the plate so far- Check out whats happenin @ carson Pass
- Were drivin past shasta, why not scope that
-Gathering beta on Mt Bachelor area
-Mt Hood

Its just gonna be a drive up and hit what worth looks good I guess! I do appreciate the ideas and pics posted. Its going to be cool to keep the 2010 'campaign' going. I havent skiied since July 5th, and am so ready and wanting to ski again :D

Yo Blair-Dangerfield,
Are you still planning on skiing Hood, and if so, how far away are you?
Gonna be in Portland? I'll buy you a beer if you're around. . .
Good skiing!
dskoon

PreviousNext

Return to California