Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Post GPX bugs or feature requsts here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Post GPX bugs or feature requsts here

Postby peterbud » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 pm

visentin wrote:I'm not sure if several GPX make sense, unless we allow displaying them all at once

It does make sense, if the files would be downloadable from their map page.
Of course, simultaneous display of multiple routes would be a nice feature as well.
peterbud

Postby Gangolf Haub » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Matt, one more suggestion:

the route profile has the statistics placed in one line above the elevation profile. I think it would be better arranged as a list (beside or below the graph). I have occasionally uploaded screenshots from a German site which look like this:

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:14 pm

visentin wrote:May I suggest also to advertise more the GPX feature in the front page ? Nobody seem to have noticed it, and that's in my opinion the biggest improvement of SP since long (well since I know it...)

I'm planning on creating a page soon that will announce all new features on the site forthcoming ones as well (I'm planning to work on lots of upgrades). I'm hoping to get that page up in the next few days and draw attention to the new GPX feature.
Gangolf Haub wrote:Matt, one more suggestion:

the route profile has the statistics placed in one line above the elevation profile. I think it would be better arranged as a list (beside or below the graph). I have occasionally uploaded screenshots from a German site which look like this:

I think I can do that without too much fuss. I'll look into changing the layout a bit when I get a few moments.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Matt, one more suggestion:

It don't know it it should be automatic, because gpx files are not guaranteed to have real elevation data. If the file has been post-edited (say to remove random spikes in a deep canyon), the elevation of the smoothed and filled-in points may be 0. If it is not edited to remove artifacts in deep canyons, the elevations of said points may be totally ersatz. If the file was saved to another (older) format before the gpx (say txf), there's a good chance it won't have any elevation data.
MoapaPk

Postby Lolli » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

What exactly is gpx-files?
Something I can download to a GPS?

To a rental car GPS too?
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!
Lolli

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Lolli -- you can upload the tracks in a gpx file, from your computer, to a GPS. I don't know if the most recent GPSs can take a direct load of the entire file. In the past, one would open the gpx file in application (even google earth can do some of this), then choose the tracks or waypoints that one wishes to load on the GPS. There are free applications that will let you load tracks from a list; the ones that show the tracks on a map first are usually shareware at least. Garmin GPSs come with a program MapSource, that will allow one to put tracks on the GPS, or read tracks from the GPS.

The above is for hand-held GPS with a computer port. I'm not sure how many car GPS systems have a data port.

Old school:
http://hwstock.org/gps/
MoapaPk

Postby Lolli » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks, MoapaPk.

I haven't seen a port, but then I haven't looked very deeply into the matter either. Don't use them very much.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!
Lolli

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the GPX file I posted here:

http://www.summitpost.org/construction-page/605920

I made it in kindof a backwards way, using TOPO!, since I did not actually carry a GPS with me. Managed to get most of it working, except it is showing the highpoint in a seemingly random location, that obviously is not the highest.
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am

mrchad9 wrote:Can someone tell me what is wrong with the GPX file I posted here:

I made it in kindof a backwards way, using TOPO!, since I did not actually carry a GPS with me. Managed to get most of it working, except it is showing the highpoint in a seemingly random location, that obviously is not the highest.

That is odd. I'll take a look at the raw GPX file and see what might be happening. It could be a bug in the code.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am

mrchad9 wrote:Can someone tell me what is wrong with the GPX file I posted here:

I downloaded the GPX file and was instantly able to open it in ExpertGPS and Memory Map, and it showed the correct route to Funeral Peak. It opened in Google Earth after conversion to kml (my current version of GE has a bug introduced by the foreign programmers, so it will only accept imperial units in GPX). I can make minor edits, save it, and examine the XML if that would be of help. I'll contact you by videoconference to discuss this matter.
MoapaPk

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

MoapaPk wrote:I'll contact you by videoconference to discuss this matter.

LOL!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, thank you for the tip on the conversion program to use. I used it but had to do a bit of editing to get the elevations to show up, but now cannot find anything wrong with the GPX file. So sure, if you or Matt find anything let me know. I don't use the files but would like to be able to provide them to others that might find them useful, both for this route and future ones.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:02 am

the file is available through this link
http://hwstock.org/funeral_S.htm

you may just have to right click and download it (not "save as"). I just touched it with another app, added some meaningless points, to see if it would be better with a different header. I can't see anything wrong with it.

Meanwhile, I found out that loading gpx files as images no longer seems to work.
MoapaPk

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks MoapaPk, but now the route is in reverse, and for some reason it thinks the low point elevation is zero. But I least the highpoint is correct.

Maybe I will play around with it and see if I can splice the original and old one together in a way that will work.
mrchad9

Postby Day Hiker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 am

I can fix the elevation data. One of the programs I wrote will look up the USGS elevation of a location, given the lat/lon. I only have to have that particular data downloaded from USGS, and in this case I do, since I have downloaded all of Death Valley for previous needs (of course).

gpx format: gpx file

My program also writes kml format for Google Earth: kml file

I don't mind redoing it if there are changes that need to be made to the original track.
Day Hiker

Postby visentin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 am

Found by coincidence on the net :
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/ ... 3782221303
source of inspiration ? :)
visentin

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback