Goggles with shifting cat 2-4 lens?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
shadowfire

Goggles with shifting cat 2-4 lens?

by shadowfire » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Anyone here got experience with goggles shifting between cat 2 and 4?
How do you feel they work for example a day on glacier/snow and with some clouds covering the sun in intervalls?

I need to upgrade my goggles (only cat2 which aint enough to avoid snow blindness).

no avatar
Hisham

Re: Goggles with shifting cat 2-4 lens?

by Hisham » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:06 pm

I have read snow blindness is caused by UV burning your cornea.

So what does category have to do with it if the lens is 100% uv reflecting or absorbing?

Maybe light could irritate but not burn your eyes with a low cat on ice???

In relation to your q, I have julbo camelion cat 2-4 glasses, not goggles, and they work great in all conditions (except low light naturally)

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 am

Hisham wrote:I have read snow blindness is caused by UV burning your cornea.

So what does category have to do with it if the lens is 100% uv reflecting or absorbing?

Maybe light could irritate but not burn your eyes with a low cat on ice???

In relation to your q, I have julbo camelion cat 2-4 glasses, not goggles, and they work great in all conditions (except low light naturally)

Yes, maybe it wont provoke snow blindness, but maybe it's still kind of a stress. Sun is getting covered by a cloud, glasses start to lens shift (takes about 30 sec I've heard?!), suddenly sun pops out again and glasses starts to lens shift again. Even if they do UV-block perfectly, you will still get exposed to the brightness I assume before the lens has shifted back to cat 4. How does it feel after a whole day walking on a glacier for example?

AlpineTrails

by AlpineTrails » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm

I've been using a pair of Julbo Revolution with Snow tiger lens( cat2-4) for the past 2 seasons of climbing. They are perfect for windy nights/mornings/ when is cloudy or snowing.
After a sunny day on a glacier I find my eyes to be a bite sore. But I'm quite sensitive.
Alternatively I have a spectron 4 sunglasses which are perfect for bright sun. I believe the equivalent in goggles is the Zebra lens.

In conclusion it depends what is the activity you are looking to use them for. A Zebra lens will be too dark for a night start, while perfect on glacier and bright sun. If your eyes are not that sensitive to light, Snow Tiger lens could be enough for all situations day or night. If you do look just for skying, then I'd suggest to get a darker lens like Zebra or similar ( if you don't fancy Julbo)

Return to Gear