Searching for NE mountain to run—Katahdin?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
deungsan

Searching for NE mountain to run—Katahdin?

by deungsan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

I’m looking for a good mountain in the Northeast to run during next summer’s vacation.

“Good” means a trail that has a high percentage of runnable terrain, that is associated with lots of elevation gain and that ideally tops out someplace special.

A couple of years ago, I ran Mt. Marcy in NY and loved it. Last year, I ran Mt. Washington in NH and liked it — but not quite as much as Marcy.

Thinking of Katahdin for next year. Has anyone run it? What’s the preferred trail? Any recommendations for a loop?

Thanks!

nartreb

Re: Searching for NE mountain to run—Katahdin?

by nartreb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:50 pm

The approach trails to Katahdin from the east (from Roaring Brook), are probably within your definition of runnable, but you're basically guaranteed to be slowed down by crowds. The mountain itself has several very steep trails; the most runnable is probably the Saddle trail, which is about your only reasonable choice for a fast descent. You could make a loop by ascending via Helon Taylor - too steep for me to run after the first mile but you are probably stronger than me. However, to make a loop you'd need to cross the Knife Edge which really is narrow and extremely exposed.

For other ideas, you might get some inspiration here:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/b ... a-ct-ri-me

To repeat some advice I gave a year ago:

You could also browse the blogs of the local ultra-runners and see what they do on their lighter days. Here's one to get you started, follow the links and you'll find more: http://adamiata.blogspot.com/

If you liked Marcy, you might like the Bonds - a very long flat approach (extremely runnable - it's an abandoned railway), some uphill (normal hiking trail, nothing too steep or scrambly), and then a great above-treeline ridge. If you can get a friend to spot a car for you, you can even do a traverse of the Twin Range - the Twinway trail makes for some great running.

PS, if you run Katahdin, make sure you obey all rules and are polite to hikers. The park staff is quite serious about preserving a serene atmosphere on the mountain, and they may be extra suspicious of runners after the recent Scott Jurek incident.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
deungsan

deungsan

by deungsan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:43 am

nartreb wrote:The approach trails to Katahdin from the east (from Roaring Brook), are probably within your definition of runnable, but you're basically guaranteed to be slowed down by crowds. The mountain itself has several very steep trails; the most runnable is probably the Saddle trail, which is about your only reasonable choice for a fast descent. You could make a loop by ascending via Helon Taylor - too steep for me to run after the first mile but you are probably stronger than me. However, to make a loop you'd need to cross the Knife Edge which really is narrow and extremely exposed.

For other ideas, you might get some inspiration here:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/b ... a-ct-ri-me

To repeat some advice I gave a year ago:

You could also browse the blogs of the local ultra-runners and see what they do on their lighter days. Here's one to get you started, follow the links and you'll find more: http://adamiata.blogspot.com/

If you liked Marcy, you might like the Bonds - a very long flat approach (extremely runnable - it's an abandoned railway), some uphill (normal hiking trail, nothing too steep or scrambly), and then a great above-treeline ridge. If you can get a friend to spot a car for you, you can even do a traverse of the Twin Range - the Twinway trail makes for some great running.

PS, if you run Katahdin, make sure you obey all rules and are polite to hikers. The park staff is quite serious about preserving a serene atmosphere on the mountain, and they may be extra suspicious of runners after the recent Scott Jurek incident.

Thanks for all that info. Very nice! Now I've got to look up the recent Scott Jurek incident... :-)

deungsan

by deungsan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:19 am

Finally got a chance to run Katahdin...it was fun even though a huge portion wasn't runnable.

Started from the Katahdin Stream trailhead because I couldn't get a parking permit for Roaring Brook.

Took the Hunt Trail — about 3 hours to get to the summit and about 2:45 to get back.

No crowds on a Friday with a 6:30 am start.

Oddly, the nonrunnable parts with the boulders were the most fun.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:49 pm

That's the Appalachian Trail route?

deungsan

by deungsan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:01 am

I believe it is.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)