#49 State highpoint attempt, Granite Peak MT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
stever500

#49 State highpoint attempt, Granite Peak MT

by stever500 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:55 am

State Highpoint #49 - Had only this and Alaska to go.

Granite Peak Attempt - we made the best of a tough situation. I heard snow was forecast for Granite Peak the day I got to Red Lodge MT on Thursday and that it was likely it may be impossible to summit for our 2 groups. We did our rock climbing afternoon practice by Red Lodge MT and headed out the next morning for Granite Peak anyway.
8 miles later we got to Froze to Death Plateau and set up camp. The next morning the report was 90% chance of snow instead of 60% the day before. We were told that if we went to the 2nd camp below Granite Peak (4 miles away), we'd be sitting in our tents in the rain and snow for a day and night with pretty much no ability to summit the mountain the next day, Sunday. When it gets icy up top, it's too dangerous they said, for groups like ours.

Hearing this, we decided to at least hike something and hiked to the top of Froze to Death mountain instead, which was right near our campsite. It was 11755 ft (1000 feet lower than Granite Peak) and took a while to get over the boulders all the way to the top. Had great views of Granite from the top, which was about 2.5 miles away. We could see the snow coming in so we quickly headed back down to camp, and then down the mountain (2 days early). It had already started snowing as we hiked down.

I read the following after I returned to town - "The name 'Froze-to-Death' is said to derive from the experiences of the local Crow tribe of Native Americans. The area can be deadly for unprepared visitors. Its rocky, broken terrain is difficult for travelers and snow is possible at any time of the year.

Even modern travellers frequently find themselves lost, and rescue is difficult. The USFS keeps no official records regarding the number of deaths in the area, but the risk of fatalities from accidents and exposure is recognized as high. For even the most experienced outdoor enthusiasts, Froze-to-Death Mountain and the other peaks of the Beartooth Mountain range rank among the most challenging and dangerous of all North American parkland".

Headed back to civilization to Billings MT for a great meal last night and Delta was kind enough to waive the $200 change fee and I came home 2 days early. Pretty rough 4 days but it is what it is. This is the 5th time I attempted a state highpoint and didn't make it on the first try. - Steve

technicolorNH

Re: #49 State highpoint attempt, Granite Peak MT

by technicolorNH » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 am

Granite is the only state high point I have failed to summit on the first try so far. I scheduled a trip out west to Montana and Wyoming for last month but sciatic nerve pain in my right hip made driving (or riding as a passenger) for more than a half hour in a car absolute hell by July so I changed my travel dates from August to October to give my hip time to get back to normal (inversion tables are amazing). October is too late for the high country there for me though so I shifted my plans to Arizona, Nevada, and southern Utah. I can wait another year for Granite.

nickhowes

by nickhowes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:50 pm

FWIW, I was backpacking in the Beartooths on and after Labor day. I had hoped to bag Castle Mountain, but decided it was too icy/slippery. Trip Report here: http://ghostwood.org/nick/trips/Beartooths2016/1.html

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Come back next year! Maybe try early August. If you decide to try again let me know and if timing works out I'll go with you. I've been up there 3 times and it's one of my favorite places. My daughter and I didn't make the summit this year on our attempt so we'll be going back next summer to get her to the top. Incidentally it was her friend from college who was killed up there shortly after our trip. :(
Mountains and Music

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:37 pm

It's rare to get all of them on the first attempt. I'm holding at 45, and have two repeated attempts to get back to. Still looking forward to experiencing Granite. As the wise mountaineer once said "Summit, optional. Safe return to trailhead, mandatory".

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Pencilling in summer goals. Granite is on the list. Might even consider doing this every summer. Considering a different route (have done the standard route 3 times). We'll see how the schedule plays out with all the other peaks I'm slating!
Mountains and Music

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)