Running outside in cold or use treadmill?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
BigWas

Running outside in cold or use treadmill?

by BigWas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:22 am

Hey guys,

I'm just curious as to what everyone's opinion is with running on a treadmill vs running outside in cold. Personally I prefer running outside, however it is starting to get real cold out there. My concern though is that whenever I run on a treadmill it just doesn't feel like I am getting the same effective workout as running outside, not to mention that I feel like a hamster on a wheel. lol

So can you still get a good run when its below freezing outside or should i just hop on the treadmill and try not to fall on my ***. When i run in the cold its seems like it slows me down due to breathing, and the next day my lungs always feel dry and almost as if I'm getting sick and this is the reason why I purchased this ProForm Power 1495 treadmill last month.

Thanks

Woodswalker

Re: Running outside in cold or use treadmill?

by Woodswalker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:10 am

I've never had any problems running outside even in 0 degree temperatures. Treadmills are lame.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 am

Is this click bait? You're asking on a MOUNTAINEERING forum about whether you should exert your lungs in cold weather?

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
DukeJH, phydeux

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:07 pm

IF you're bothered by the dry air in below-freezing temperatures, just put a loose-weave scarf around your face ***. It'll still allow you to breath while keeping a lot of moisture within your nose and mouth. IF it starts icing up and restricting your breathing, just consider it simulation of the thinner air at altitude. Its a lot cheaper than 'click-bait' indoor training machines. :D

*** - Blue or red scarfs not recommended in high-crime areas. Black (or dressing in all black) is also discouraged, especially at night.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:18 am

Let me get this straight.

You're posting on a mountaineering forum that you are concerned about exercising in the cold.

Did I get that right?

Return to General