Abandoned Pages in Need of Adoption

Put a page up for adoption, find a page up for adoption, or report an abandoned page in need of adoption.
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Abandoned Pages in Need of Adoption

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:51 pm

selinunte01 wrote:I would like to adopt this page: http://www.summitpost.org/lyskamm-traverse-w-e/220120
The owner was not active since Jun 30, 2010. Having done this traverse this year I can improve the description of the traverse, I would add the Access routes which lack and I have some good pics as well to add.
Keep me informed, thanks, Michael

It's yours, Michael

LukZem

by LukZem » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm

I would like to adopt this page:

http://www.summitpost.org/vladeasa-massif/154914

It is rather poor, some of the photos seem to have been copied from other sites and the owner of the page last logged in over two years ago. What’s more, he has never bothered to correct the elevation of the massif although he was asked to do that five years ago.

Another page I would like to rework is this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/velk-fatra/350896

I wrote to the owner about a year ago but there hasn’t been any reply despite her logging in last August. Both admins also seem to have lost interest in SP – the page, which surely is unfinished, was abandoned eight years ago. A few key chapters are missing, most links don’t work any more.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Lukas

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:55 pm

LukZem wrote:I would like to adopt this page:

http://www.summitpost.org/vladeasa-massif/154914

It is rather poor, some of the photos seem to have been copied from other sites and the owner of the page last logged in over two years ago. What’s more, he has never bothered to correct the elevation of the massif although he was asked to do that five years ago.

You've got it.

LukZem wrote:Another page I would like to rework is this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/velk-fatra/350896

I wrote to the owner about a year ago but there hasn’t been any reply despite her logging in last August. Both admins also seem to have lost interest in SP – the page, which surely is unfinished, was abandoned eight years ago. A few key chapters are missing, most links don’t work any more.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Lukas

You've done what you could, by contacting the owner and checking the last login dates. However, to quote from the original post:
Bob Sihler wrote:What is an abandoned page in need of adoption? Generally, it is safe to assume that a page has been abandoned if the owner has been inactive for more than a year (check the user's profile page to see the date last active.)

There are quite a lot of pages on SummitPost that have room for improvement, to put it nicely, and the Velká Fatra page does indeed appear to be such a page. However, not responding to pm's or e-mails is not enough reason to assume that someone is inactive. As you already saw the owner (as well as the two admins) for the page logged in less than a year ago, so they are still considered active. If you haven't done so yet, you can ask the admins if they are willing to give you admin rights as well; if one of them does so, you can update the page.

yatsek

by yatsek » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:43 am

As for the Velka Fatra page, it may not qualify as "abandoned", but doesn't it qualify as an incomplete page?
bad-empty-incomplete-pages-t54986.html
The page is missing information - no Getting There chapter, no Red Tape Chapter, the links do not work. Why not just delete it?

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I’d like to rework the Śnieżka/Sněžka page on the following grounds:
The owner hasn't logged in for two years. The page hasn't been updated for nine years.
There is some misinformation about the natural history of the area as well as outdated and incomplete info on the Polish huts and trails.
Finally, over the years several SP members have submitted a number of good photos, some of which would make the page both more informative and much better-looking.

BTW I'm still looking forward to seeing an Elf's reply to the question I put in my previous message: Isnt the Veľká Fatra page an incomplete page which should be deleted (and replaced with a new, complete and updated page)?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:04 pm

yatsek wrote:I’d like to rework the Śnieżka/Sněžka page on the following grounds:
The owner hasn't logged in for two years. The page hasn't been updated for nine years.
There is some misinformation about the natural history of the area as well as outdated and incomplete info on the Polish huts and trails.
Finally, over the years several SP members have submitted a number of good photos, some of which would make the page both more informative and much better-looking.

BTW I'm still looking forward to seeing an Elf's reply to the question I put in my previous message: Isnt the Veľká Fatra page an incomplete page which should be deleted (and replaced with a new, complete and updated page)?

I don't think just delete a page just because it is bad. If someone wants to adopt it and make it better then that is different.

For Snezka try to contact the owner first. If that doesn't work after a week or so then you got it.

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm

As for the Velka Fatra, from the post by LukZem a few mesaages above it is clear he wants to adopt the page and make it better.

As for Śnieżka, no thanks, I don't think I'll bother as it's obvious to me the owner has lost interest in SP and the mountain is not one of my favourites either.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:26 am

yatsek wrote:BTW I'm still looking forward to seeing an Elf's reply to the question I put in my previous message: Isnt the Veľká Fatra page an incomplete page which should be deleted (and replaced with a new, complete and updated page)?

Shortly after I suggested to Lukzem to contact the two admins for that page, I saw that he had received admin rights. I assume Gorzi gave them to him. As a result, he can improve the page, and I saw no need to reply anymore.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
yatsek

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:27 am

As for Śnieżka, I agree that the page should be updated. Coincidentally I climbed it (from the Polish side) only a month ago, but I don't want to do the updating; I'm sure there are others that can do a much better job.

yatsek wrote:As for Śnieżka, no thanks, I don't think I'll bother as it's obvious to me the owner has lost interest in SP and the mountain is not one of my favourites either.

As you wrote earlier, the page owner hasn't been active for years. That means there is no requirement to contact him first if you want to adopt the page, just ask, as you did. But I'm a bit confused now... does your "no thanks" mean you don't want it anymore?

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:52 am

If there is no requirement to contact the owner who's been inactive for years, I will take over and rework the page by the end of this month. Thanks.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:14 pm

yatsek wrote:If there is no requirement to contact the owner who's been inactive for years, I will take over and rework the page by the end of this month. Thanks.

You've got it.

nixoriugis

by nixoriugis » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:53 am

I would like to adopt this page along with its normal route.
http://www.summitpost.org/huayna-potosi/150675
http://www.summitpost.org/normal-route/156800
I just climbed this mountain and I would like to add a lot to the route description and the logistics for the mountain. The pages are over 10 years old and the owner had not logged for 2 years. Many links are not working anymore.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:31 pm

The pages are over 10 years old and the owner had not logged for 2 years.

Yes, and I think he only logged in to answer a PM I sent him on another page. He hasn't bee active for years. I will transfer the pages to you when I get home tonight, unless someone else transfers them first.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:37 am

OK, the pages are yours. Good luck!

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Spoke via PM with Kane regarding this page-http://www.summitpost.org/mummy-range/171052
He put me on as an owner and I will be undated it as soon as I get something together.
Anything else need to be done?

PreviousNext

Return to Page Adoption Forum