Limestone Canyon in Orange County CA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
stoaX

Limestone Canyon in Orange County CA

by stoaX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I went online to check out Limestone Canyon in Orange County CA. In order to access the area you need to sign up for one of their scheduled hikes (or other scheduled activities). My idea of hiking does not include having 20 strangers alongside me. Is this a trend? Is this the future? Having to get a permit to go somewhere is a hassle, but I recoil at being told how, when and where to hike by the authorities. Please re-assure me that this is an exception...

brichardsson

Re: Limestone Canyon in Orange County CA

by brichardsson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:17 pm

limestone canyon is a conservancy. that means they get to set the rules. your money (i am assuming) goes to help keep the area in good shape, which lately is more than can be said about some of other local wilderness areas.

note: i am not saying i agree with a general "pay to play" formula, i am just saying in this particular case they are able to do so.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
stoaX

stoaX

by stoaX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:57 pm

I don't mind paying permit fees, park entrance fees or for trailhead parking...I just like to hike by myself or with a partner at a time that is convenient for us. The idea of having to join a group at an appointed time is off-putting.

But if I want to see the "Grand Canyon" of Southern California, I guess I'll just take a deep breath and join the program.

I suppose the peer pressure of having others with you all the time would prevent some bad behavior like switchback cutting and littering.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 am

Yup, if you want to see it, then you got to play by their rules. However, keep in mind that this is Orange County. While there may be more people in your immediate vicinity, there will be far less people in the area. Go to Crystal Cove (the canyon) on a weekend if you want something to compare it to.

I went on one of the first tours they ever gave for that place (mt. biking that is) and had fun, of sorts. If they tell you the story of a poor mt. biker who crashed after getting stung in the mouth by a bee, and then just missed getting bitten by a rattlesnake, that poor guy is me.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 pm

^^^^ That's because you didn't float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, fatdad :!:

Don't you all get tired of living in Orange County (?), I mean ... being that's it's so close to HOLLY-WEIRD and all.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

stoaX

by stoaX » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm

fatdad wrote: a poor mt. biker who crashed after getting stung in the mouth by a bee, and then just missed getting bitten by a rattlesnake, that poor guy is me.

Yikes! It sounds like Limestone Canyon is too dangerous of a place for me, I'll just stick to the Sierras.

stoaX

by stoaX » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 pm

lcarreau wrote:^^^^ That's because you didn't float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, fatdad :!:

Don't you all get tired of living in Orange County (?), I mean ... being that's it's so close to HOLLY-WEIRD and all.

Holly-weird is at about 60 miles away from my house. Considering that it takes several hours through LA traffic to get there, it's not that close.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:54 pm

I think it's just a personal curse. I learned a valuable lesson though: don't do steep descents on a mt. bike with your mouth open.

Back on topic, I think it would be really lush back in there with all the rain we've been having. Not a bad time to go. Holy Jim Falls is probably looking pretty good too.

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 am

lcarreau wrote:^^^^ That's because you didn't float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, fatdad :!:

The traffic has gotten to the point where it takes so long to get to/from Orange County to L.A. that its really not considered close anymore. Don't even think about driving in the West L.A. area (between downtown L.A. and Santa Monica); its crowded 24hrs/day, 7 days/week.

And if you live in Phoenix you're only a couple hours drive from the liberal artsy-phartsy nutcases in Sedona. :wink:

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm

lcarreau wrote:Don't you all get tired of living in Orange County (?), I mean ... being that's it's so close to HOLLY-WEIRD and all.

i was born and raised here, but this state is going to hell between the taxes and the catch-and-release jail program. i'll probably leave when i retire. if i can talk the girlfriend into it haha.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

simonov

by simonov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 pm

lcarreau wrote:Don't you all get tired of living in Orange County (?), I mean ... being that's it's so close to HOLLY-WEIRD and all.

Yes, I did, so I moved to Reno last summer.
Nunc est bibendum.

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

I grew up in Holly-weird and escaped to Reno in 1979.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 am

bscott wrote:

i was born and raised here, but this state is going to hell between the taxes and the catch-and-release jail program. i'll probably leave when i retire. if i can talk the girlfriend into it haha.

Oh brother. Where's the eye rolling emoticon? Spoken like a true OC Republican (and I was raised in Costa Mesa so I know of what I speak). I agree that taxes are a bummer, but that's the price you pay for living some place awesome. The catch and release claim? That's just white suburban paranoia. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are not out to get you.

KClosson

by KClosson » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 am

What you want to sign up for one of their "Wilderness Access Days", not the specialized hikes they do to the Sinks as a group. There will be other people all over Limestone Canyon, but you can do it on your own. I've done it twice by myself. The next one is on June 3rd. No fees. You just sign up, and when you get there sign in. They give you a badge and you are on your own. Very simple:

http://letsgooutside.org/activities/201 ... canyon-24/

KC

Return to California