Freel Peak approach

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hailman

Freel Peak approach

by hailman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey everyone

Looking for some advice on the best approach to Freel Peak for this weekend. Main options seem to be Highway 89/Luther Pass from the south or Oneidas St/Fountain Place Rd from the west.

I was actually thinking the west approach would be preferable as it looks like the road stays lower elevation before rising nearer to the peak. However streetview shows an ominous gate at the forest service land boundary...

The snowpack was solid just below 8000 feet last weekend on my trip from Silver Lake to Mokelumne Peak. Tough but awesome hike. Anyway 8000 feet is my estimate for snowpack level...right at the Luther Pass elevation. Thus my concern with that approach.

Any advice is appreciated!

i2stillclimb

Re: Freel Peak approach

by i2stillclimb » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm

I would bring my mountain bike and go with the Luther pass Armstrong pass road then head up where there is the least snow. The Oneidas side will send you through miles of snow drifts and lost trail hunting.

The following user would like to thank i2stillclimb for this post
hailman

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 pm

On 6/17 the Hwy 89 gate was closed. Patchy snow started around 8200 ft. Willow creek might be hard to cross (I climbed Jobs and didn't have to cross it). It might not be a bad cross country hike to stay on the west side of the creek before the road crosses it on a bridge.

The following user would like to thank Teresa Gergen for this post
hailman

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I did this years ago one January right from highway 89 where the gate is at 7440 feet southwest of the peak, along with Jobs Sister and Jobs Peak. A long haul in the winter but definitely doable and at least you'll be starting out off the snow.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
hailman

hailman

by hailman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks all!

Always wanted to work in mountain biking as an approach vehicle...this may be the year to do it!

I've never been one to shy away from cross country, so maybe we'll try the west side of Willow Creek. Topo doesn't look too bad below 8200 ft.

One more question: in general is the snow pretty well consolidated by now? Mokelumne Peak area was classic suncup terrain all day. Crampons were nice just to provide some stability. Didn't experience any postholing even as the temps warmed up which was nice.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 pm

FWIW it is consolidated on Shasta. I would think the same.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
hailman

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 am

The snow was consolidated on Jobs even in the afternoon. I only broke through where it was not deep, at the edges where it was melting out. In the trees, there are moguls and wells around the trees in the snow to deal with. Some suncupping above the trees, but it wasn't horrible yet. I used microspikes as you said, just for stability and to take less effort. Not sure how different Freel would be, but crampons would have been overkill on Jobs.

Also, there's been a heatwave in the Sierra since I was there. Snow conditions could be different, and creeks are likely much more of a problem.

The following user would like to thank Teresa Gergen for this post
hailman

hailman

by hailman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 am

I agree...creek-crossings are becoming the biggest issue now. And I know exactly what you mean by the tree moguls, they're the worst!

Made a casual visit to Mt Lola in early May and couldn't for the life of me find a crossing over the Little Truckee River. Afterward did a little more research and realized there was a bridge crossing to the east of the meadows where I started.

Nowadays I try to do a little more research before taking off into the wilderness with just a map+compass....haha

Thanks again all for the input.

boisedoc

by boisedoc » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:23 am

I imagine the original poster already did their trip, but if anyone else is curious we drove all the way to horse meadow with no difficulty today. Creek crossings were fine. Mix of supportive snow and sand to the summit. No need for axes or traction

hailman

by hailman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey boisedoc

Yeah we hiked up to the peak last Sunday, 6/25. My stubbornness got the best of me and we decided to check out the Oneidas approach after all. Saw a lot of mountain bikers headed up that way and couldn't resist checking out the biking opportunities (they are ample).

The route from the west and up Trout Creek was rugged but very doable. The snow is melting fast and we actually never set foot on any snow all day! Couple wet spots on the trail but my feet remained dry even in approach shoes. Parts of that drainage reminded me of Tuttle Creek by Mt Langley oddly enough. Manzanitas, huge pines, and quaking aspen glimmering in the afternoon sun. Very nice. The trail is not maintained particularly well and more resembles a use trail...and it gets really sandy sloggy below the saddle northwest of the peak.

Anyway...were you guys up there Sunday? Saw two people on the summit as I was coming up. I picked up the pace but they left before I could say hi.

hailman

by hailman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:28 pm

I just realized you posted on Sunday. That had to be you guys. Congrats on the ascent!

boisedoc

by boisedoc » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 am

that was indeed us up there on Sunday morning, Glad the other route worked well. I was honestly surprised when we reached the summit that there was not more snow to the north and west. Some areas on the south slopes still had several feet of snow although it was easy to walk on. we did not end up walking over to Jobs sister but I will say that the north side of Jobs sister appeared to have a lot of snow when I was looking at it while driving through Carson City

Return to California