Rock Creek - water filter or not?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

Rock Creek - water filter or not?

by Luciano136 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:44 am

Just wondering what the general consensus is? I have never used a water filter outside of the Whitney area, so my gut says no. Planning to spend a few days in the Pioneer Basin; with all the running water, seems like a filter is wasted weight.

sierraman

Re: Rock Creek - water filter or not?

by sierraman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 am

A few years ago in early summer I was sitting next to the outlet of Lake Vernon having lunch. The snowmelt was in full flood and there was probably 2 or 3 thousand gallons per minute of water flowing out of the Lake. A fellow backpacker arrived and as we were chatting I dipped my water bottle into the stream and got a drink. My new buddy reacted as if I had just swallowed poison. No matter how hard I tried to convince him the dilution factor made filtering unnecessary, he was unconvinced. So, in areas (like Pioneer Basin) where the visitation is light, I agree with you, this time of year the filter is wasted weight.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
Luciano136

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:02 am

That's pretty funny! I even drank out of lakes before without issues but only do it as a last resort. Streams and running water obviously preferred.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:44 pm

I have had unfiltered water at all times of the year from Rock Creek, and the lakes as well, and no issues.

Same goes for Woods Creek, Bubbs Creek, Thousand Island Lake, Tuolumne River, the lakes below Bishop Pass and a lot of other areas people and horses more frequently visit :)

The only time I have bothered treating in Sierra is the areas where cattle graze.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I ditched the filter. Sooo much running water and snow. I'm pretty sure no one has gone to Pioneer Basin this year. We didn't see a soul past Mono Pass for the 4 days we were out there.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 am

I haven't filtered in over 5 years and have drank from all sorts of water sources backcountry; never got sick. Bugs in the water? Strain through a bandana. Filter? No. As fast and vicious as water is flowing now, it's all pretty clear and tasty.

Return to California